• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoking on a BGE: Question

I have difficulty finding lump that no broken up into chips....I've been buying lately from Buford Hwy Farmers...their lump is somewhat unbroken...

The royal oak that Home Depot sells isn’t bad

IMG_6839.jpeg

So...something occurred to me this morning. For those of you who smoke on your Egg...do you buy wood chunks to add in that are not charcoal? I have been doing it...but then I started thinking that the charcoal was already wood...so do you even need to add the fresh wood chunks? Does it add more smoke flavor to do so? I've only been smoking on the Egg for about 2 years, but I've always added wood to the charcoal. Do I need to?
I always use dried wood chunks in with the lump charcoal in my green egg to give me the wood smoked flavor I want. I have a weber Smokey Mountain smoker that I use charcoal briquetts in and I still put wood in there with that charcoal too.

since I live in the middle of a forest, I harvest some hickory and wild cherry wood. I’ll let dry outside a year or so and then chop some into palm-size chunks and other half into smaller chip-size and brown bag it and store in the shed.

Morning of the BGE smoke, ill soak maybe 4 larger chunks and several handfuls of the chips in water, will toss on the charcoal when I add the meat.
I have not tried that one yet, you order it online?
I get it from the Tomato House in Murryville on Highway 115, when we go over to the NE mountains. Going to have to make run soon, down to my last half bag.

Back
Top Bottom