• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smoked ribs

It also depends on what kind of smoker you have. I cook mine between 225 to 250 degrees for 6-8 hours. IMO dry rub is best. There are some good ones available at the stores but I make my own. Cover the ribs with the rub and put them in the fridge overnight. Take them out of the fridge and let set for at least 2 hours before putting them on the grill. Smoke for 3-4 hours then wrap them in foil until done. You can tell when they are done by doing to droop test. If they are not done the ribs will barely bend when picked up by one end. They will bent like a bow when they are done.

I use the 1 hour per pound process.
I like this, but I'm always hesitant to wrap my BBQ in foil, will it lose to much moisture unwrapped?

I'm going to try my hand at smoked ribs.

Anyone have some guidance to making the best damn ribs this side of the Mississippi.

What temp?
How long per pound?
To mop sauce or not to mop sauce?
I do BBQ competitions and do some crazy things to competition ribs. For backyard cooking do a Google search for the 3-2-1 method for cooking ribs. For an easy cook I use Plowboys Yardbird rub and 1/2 again turbinado sugar. Use pecan and cherry wood.

www.amazingribs.com has great guidance on ribs and much more. Also has a great recipe for dry rub for the ribs and other meats (meathead's mephis dust).
Thanks for the link , brought this back for this thread :0)
smiling_bbq_girl.jpg

Make sure you remove the membrane on the ribs...I like to only use a dry rub on mine. If you want a nice heavy bark, rub the ribs down with some spicy/reg mustard(light) and then apply your dry rub. Let the dry run sit for about 20-30 minutes before you throw them in the smoker. Get yourself a nice metal bowl and fill it with some water to keep moisture inside the smoker or I also like to make a brine with water, brown sugar, kosher salt, minced garlic and onions. Let the brine sit over night. Strain out the garlic, onions and put the brine in a spray bottle. Cook low and slow. 180-200(max). Spray a light amount on ribs every 1 hour. I like to do a light glaze on the ribs about 2 hours or so in with Blue Front BBQ sauce and then add what ever you want after they're done cooking

Last edited:
Make sure you remove the membrane on the ribs...I like to only use a dry rub on mine. If you want a nice heavy bark, rub the ribs down with some spicy/reg mustard(light) and then apply your dry rub. Let the dry run sit for about 20-30 minutes before you throw them in the smoker. Get yourself a nice metal bowl and fill it with some water to keep moisture inside the smoker or I also like to make a brine with water, brown sugar, kosher salt, minced garlic and onions. Let the brine sit over night. Strain out the garlic, onions and put the brine in a spray bottle. Cook low and slow. 180-200(max). Spray a light amount on ribs every 1 hour. I like to do a light glaze on the ribs about 2 hours or so in with Blue Front BBQ sauce and then add what ever you want after they're done cooking
So you just spray the brine, you don't actually brine the ribs?

Back
Top Bottom