• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Small of Back (SOB) Carry- Opinions?

I have a good friend & one of the better students that I've trained who used to carry this way who now carries at about the 5:00 position, just far enough off the spine to alleviate some of the problems.

Protective:

Thanks for the constructive advice. I'm not so worried about the submission position (#2) because if someone is close enough behind you and has any understanding of wrist control, they can submit your ass all day, whether or not you put a 30-40 degree bend in your elbow. As to the @ 5:00 carry, assuming a right handed person, would the draw be palm in or palm out? I.e., would butt end of pistol be pointing toward the spine or the hip? Seems like palm in would be a little slower due to the mobility/leverage limitations of the pronated wrist, but would eliminate 90% of the sweep you described; however, palm out would be the best way to make sure you had a ready grip on the weapon on the first try, without having to adjust/ regrip on the upswing or after... Let me know what you think!

Well I carry 6 O'clock quite often with a medium to large framed semi auto, I have no problems with it, find it a more concealable carry as the gun rides in the natural pit along my spine.
I also carry IWB and always have a pocket 380, well in my front pocket.
There are disadvantages to any carry where the assailant knows /suspects that you are carrying.
if hip, pocket carry and he grabs you in a bear hug then you ain't drawing anything anywhere, course thats you got a left hand to push away and draw, as for drawing fom a seated position, especially in a car, well the best position for this is with your weapon in the seat beside you .
AS for falling an hitting flat on your spine, well thats not natural actually, the normal human will rotate thier body or try to if they are falling backwards to be able to use thier hands to break the fall, if i were clumsy enough to fall flat on my back likely I would not carry a firearm at all.
as for time of draw well yes it may take a bit longer but really if you anticipate trouble heading your way then you may be bets advised to remove the weapon and hold at your side anyway, i mean the average bad guy can cover about 20 feet in less than 3 seconds if he is charging you, thats pretty fast. anyway MY 2 cents, practice however you decide to carry and you will be much better for it.

Back
Top Bottom