• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slide not locking aft on last round

Your mileage may vary.
As with everything else on God's Earth.
All I know is that every Glock I own,
Is gonna do what it's intended to do, everytime I pull the trigger.
Until it runs out of ammo.
With any factory mag.

That’s why mama always said “that’s why they makes chocolate an’ vanilla son”….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention]cmshoot [/mention] [mention]CTS Tactical [/mention] ….guys…. I believe I found the problem…. thanks to your input!

Retrieved the second mag from my car this morning, emptied both and placed each in the gun…. slide locked back with the mag I keep in the car…. it didn’t remain back with the one I have been carrying in the gun…. though with that, I discovered another issue…. with the spare mag in the gun, when the slide locks back I can’t release it without releasing the mag first…. the slide release is so "locked up tight" it’s impossible to move even when pulling the slide aft that extra "skosh" to relieve the pressure on the slide lock mechanism.

Close examination of both #1 and #2 mags reveals a slight "dent" in the surface of the follower on #1…. enough to "almost" lock the slide aft when the last round is fired…. but not quite enough that the slide wouldn’t occasionally release if the gun is jarred in some fashion…. both follower springs feel as though they have the same tension but you’d actually need to measure the spring to confirm….

ef6f6153f3f111bc2e77b92b56cb0dca.jpg

230877838fbfbbd341fa8292753a2bb0.jpg

013140ad3dc7c8a6d700906b0cb54593.jpg

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[mention]cmshoot [/mention] [mention]CTS Tactical [/mention] ….guys…. I believe I found the problem…. thanks to your input!

Retrieved the second mag from my car this morning, emptied both and placed each in the gun…. slide locked back with the mag I keep in the car…. it didn’t remain back with the one I have been carrying in the gun…. though with that, I discovered another issue…. with the spare mag in the gun, when the slide locks back I can’t release it without releasing the mag first…. the slide release is so "locked up tight" it’s impossible to move even when pulling the slide aft that extra "skosh" to relieve the pressure on the slide lock mechanism.

Close examination of both #1 and #2 mags reveals a slight "dent" in the surface of the follower on #1…. enough to "almost" lock the slide aft when the last round is fired…. but not quite enough that the slide wouldn’t occasionally release if the gun is jarred in some fashion…. both follower springs feel as though they have the same tension but you’d actually need to measure the spring to confirm….

ef6f6153f3f111bc2e77b92b56cb0dca.jpg

230877838fbfbbd341fa8292753a2bb0.jpg

013140ad3dc7c8a6d700906b0cb54593.jpg

It is really not designed to release while the mag is still in the gun. Some will, some won't but when you think about it, the idea is the slide locks back to tell you your empty, drop the mag, reload and then hit the slide lock. This is not really an issue.

It is really not designed to release while the mag is still in the gun. Some will, some won't but when you think about it, the idea is the slide locks back to tell you your empty, drop the mag, reload and then hit the slide lock. This is not really an issue.

That makes total sense…. I guess this is the first I have come across that the slide can’t be released with an empty mag still locked in place….

With the mag still in the gun, the slide release has to overcome the magazine spring pressure. It just depends on the size of the slide release and the spring tension I guess.

[mention]cmshoot [/mention] [mention]CTS Tactical [/mention] as a follow-up question, I thought I would ask your thoughts on a resolution to the issue…. there are no new parts available for the PT145 from Taurus, so short of actually finding someone with a new Taurus magazine somewhere online, would you think I could borrow a follower from a new ProMag or other aftermarket mag and swap it out? Just wondering if all things are "equal" otherwise in terms of size/shape…. thinking I would like to keep the Taurus mag sleeve in use with the gun….

[mention]cmshoot [/mention] [mention]CTS Tactical [/mention] as a follow-up question, I thought I would ask your thoughts on a resolution to the issue…. there are no new parts available for the PT145 from Taurus, so short of actually finding someone with a new Taurus magazine somewhere online, would you think I could borrow a follower from a new ProMag or other aftermarket mag and swap it out? Just wondering if all things are "equal" otherwise in terms of size/shape…. thinking I would like to keep the Taurus mag sleeve in use with the gun….

Have you talked to Taurus about whether or not they have magazines or magazine parts for the PT145? Typically companies make magazines long after the cease making a handugn.

Para-Ordnance 10, 12, 13 and 14-round mags (P10, P12, P13 and P14, respectively) are made by Mec-Gar and work in the PT 145, so the follower would, too.

The higher cap mags leave a space between the bottom of the frame and the magazine base plate, but Pachmayr makes a mag sleeve for filling in the gap. https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/pachmayr/grip-extenders/mag-sleeves

Have you talked to Taurus about whether or not they have magazines or magazine parts for the PT145? Typically companies make magazines long after the cease making a handugn.

Yes…. talked to Taurus this morning and they said they had no support parts for the PT145…. likely because of their C/A lawsuit, they will not support anything related to it….. they tried to "entice" me to send it back to them in exchange for a new G2C…. I might be tempted to do that if it was available in .45 but they only make it in 9 or 40…. 🫤

Back
Top Bottom