• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Slide not locking aft on last round

Your not gonna want to hear this.
But get a Glock.
I know.
I fought the ugliness and lack of an external hammer since gen 2s at least.
Till I shot one.
And it eats anything, ammo wise, consistently and pretty much turns steel cases into barbed wire.
Well, maybe I'm stretching that a bit.

Not ruling out an issue with the gun or the magazines, but the majority of the time that I see this issue, it's the shooter's grip "deactivating" the slide catch. Usually the shooter's right thumb (if you're right-handed) putting downward pressure on the slide catch.

I've seen folks that have shot the same gun for over 10 years, suddenly start riding the slide catch when they didn't do it before.

Run several magazines through it, firing with one hand. Watch your thumb and make sure it's not on the slide catch. You only need to put a couple of rounds in each magazine.

If it locks back every time, it's one or both of your thumbs riding the slide catch intermittently when firing.

If it still fails, there is an issue with the gun and/or the magazines.

Magazine
Not ruling out an issue with the gun or the magazines, but the majority of the time that I see this issue, it's the shooter's grip "deactivating" the slide catch. Usually the shooter's right thumb (if you're right-handed) putting downward pressure on the slide catch.

I've seen folks that have shot the same gun for over 10 years, suddenly start riding the slide catch when they didn't do it before.

Run several magazines through it, firing with one hand. Watch your thumb and make sure it's not on the slide catch. You only need to put a couple of rounds in each magazine.

If it locks back every time, it's one or both of your thumbs riding the slide catch intermittently when firing.

If it still fails, there is an issue with the gun and/or the magazines.
My bet is mag or different ammo; but what you're talking about is the exact issue I faced with my shield. Only pistol it's ever happened on and just couldn't fathom that was the possible cause until it was brought to my attention as a possibility.

Your not gonna want to hear this.
But get a Glock.
I know.
I fought the ugliness and lack of an external hammer since gen 2s at least.
Till I shot one.
And it eats anything, ammo wise, consistently and pretty much turns steel cases into barbed wire.
Well, maybe I'm stretching that a bit.

Hahaha…. yeah, you ARE stretching it a mite…. I owned a 30S for a while and wasn’t terribly impressed by it…. so I let it go…. I do like this PT-145 for a couple reasons….

Size - it’s about the same size as the G2C…. good for EDC
Capacity - 10+1 is pretty good for a 45 acp
Weight - EDC ammo is 185gr JHP and with full load the gun is 29.1 oz
Mechanics - SA/DA "second strike" capability

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it holds properly when pulling back and engaging the latch. Just doesn’t seem to fully engage when the last round is fired…. and the latch seems to release with the slightest bump.

Then it is pretty definitely a mag problem. Try putting the other mag in the gun empty, pull slide to the rear and see if it locks firmly.

Hahaha…. yeah, you ARE stretching it a mite…. I owned a 30S for a while and wasn’t terribly impressed by it…. so I let it go…. I do like this PT-145 for a couple reasons….

Size - it’s about the same size as the G2C…. good for EDC
Capacity - 10+1 is pretty good for a 45 acp
Weight - EDC ammo is 185gr JHP and with full load the gun is 29.1 oz
Mechanics - SA/DA "second strike" capability

Your mileage may vary.
As with everything else on God's Earth.
All I know is that every Glock I own,
Is gonna do what it's intended to do, everytime I pull the trigger.
Until it runs out of ammo.
With any factory mag.

Back
Top Bottom