• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SHTF firearms. Have you thought it out?

I have 5.56, 9mm, 40, 45, 12, 38,22 and 380, but i have started buy ammo for guns I don't have,44, 357 and so on in the off chance I find a gun lying around after SHTF, I'll be able to use it. Now I'm not talking thousand of rounds, but a couple hundred, just in case.

I've got .22, .270, 5.56, .308, 9mm, .45ACP and .45 Colt and 20 gauge. I'm trying to keep it consolidated to those rounds. I'm 50/50 long guns to hand guns.

90% of my Rifles Are 556 reason being because I can feed 223 through them as well and frankly I am extremely proficient with them, My side arms are 9mm and 45acp I have some 308 Semi Rifles as well. But I tend to keep 3 long guns to one handgun And of coarse I have the good ole 12 gauge and 22lr But I stay with in NATO if possible

I subsrcibed to the "less is more", but that's just for initial loadout. My opinion is one should have weapons cached, or to cache, along with support for them (extra mags, spare parts, ammo, holsters, slings, etc.) I consolide calibers with only a few odd ones just because I like them, but those are not weapons I'd rely on. I'm working on a 9.3x62 Mauser build. You won't find any surplus ammo for that anywhere, but I the caliber has a lot going for it.

I reload and have components for several thousand rounds of my pistol and rifle calibers.

I try to cover the gambit of non-4473 guns to NFA guns. As far as people staying off the radar, I think it's prudent to have things that aren't known about, but anyone posting on these type forums should not expect that they or anythign they have is invisible.

As Ranger101 stated, proficiency is critical and overcomes caliber advantages. I mean that a guy with a .223 that can make head shots at 400 yards is more lethal than a guy with a .270 that is mediocre past 200 yards. Know your weapon and it's limitations.

For my load out options, I'm down to two rifle calibers to choose from, and two pistol calibers to choose from. Long term sustainment I have 9 rifle calibers and 6 pistol calibers. I'm actually in the position right now where there is only one more rifle I am saving towards to complete my list, then all of the money goes to other things

.22lr, .45acp, 5.56/.223, .308, 12ga

I like redundancy a lot, so I have at least one gun in each caliber above, the "go-to" gun for each caliber if you will. Right now I am working towards building up a secondary gun of the same type for each primary. The backup gun takes care of the majority of the spare parts I would need, but once I have a backup acquired for each go-to gun I also get spare small parts for the go-to as well. This goes in my armorer bag, along with maintenance and shooting gear.

Primary weapons and armorers bag stay with me, backups go where I think I might need them. Ammo in the above calibers is with each gun, along with spare mags. Specialty ammo and mags stay with me in the armorers bag.

Common calibers only for shtf. Me 22 556 12 ga 308 9mm/40 (40s with drop in 9mm conversions). - have other calibers but only keep a case or two on hand for them.

SHTF my group all agreed to carry 7.62 Ak and uniform mags. Tokarev sidearm in 7.62x25 (got a deal on Norinco's) with each person equipped and familiar with converting it to 9mm. Certain persons are designated an additional weapon: 12 ga pump, Mosin Nagant w/ iron sights, and couple FALS with optics. Sadly the caliber consolidation issue came up 6 months ago and I have had to part with some dear old friends from my stable. Keeping it all 9mm, 7.62x39, 7.62 NATO in smaller quantities, and working from the stockpile of Nagant & Tok ammo till it runs out.

Back
Top Bottom