• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SHTF firearms. Have you thought it out?

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
Do you have a plan or goal you are working towards for SHTF scenarios? Are you of the opinion less is more? Or do you stock all of the surplus you can get your hands on? What is your long arm to side arm ratio? Does anyone have a caliber consolidation plan or is it anything goes?

I myself am of the opinion that there can be a healthy mix of both. I try to keep a few surplus rifles, nagants, because the ammo is cheap and readily available. Surplus bolt rifles can be excellent hunting rifles as well as proven man stoppers. Modern firearms are a bit more intricate to maintain in the long run, but I feel they are necessary to a well rounded preparation.

I have surplus of everything at this point. I will subscribe to the opinion that less is more but in my own variant. How that statement applies to me is in caliber selection. In SHTF scenario I only plan to use 5.56 and 9mm. Those are my two battle weapons however I have several 12 gauges etc etc. I think that we should all narrow our "SHTF" guns to as few calibers as possible. As far as long arm to side arm ratio, I plan on using far more long arm ammo while using side arm as backup only. Like I said though at this point i have surplus of everything but I have far more in those two caliber and also have them in separate storing location for quick acquisition and to avoid any mix ups.

I also think that its wise to have a wide variety of battle ready weapons in multiple common calibers so that scavenging of ammo is almost always effective regardless of caliber found.

I decided to standardize calibers, not exclusively for a SHTF scenario, but just for general budget and to some extent so I don't have so many different components for reloading.

Basically just keeping 9mm, .45ACP, .223, .308. Oh- and revolvers in .38/.357. And of course 12 gauge. Should be able to scavenge those. Well, we're only going out for ammo once the local pile has been depleted to about 25%.

I've got enough spare parts to keep those new-fangled-carbines running through multiple failures. Although a component failure will leave you SOL in a fight.

I'm rollin with 7.62x39, .40S&W, and .22lr. Got a nagant which might help. This all would be carried by me and the wife. I put one of those dog carrier packs on both my dogs that I could put some ammo and a pistol in. I know most people put dog food in those, but they can scrounge for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom