• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shower thoughts on Universal Background Checks

There is no index or filing system period. The only way they can trace a firearm is to call the individual FFL and ask for the information, which we are required by law to give them. They call and say they need a trace, they give the serial number, manufacturer and model, when it shipped and who it was shipped from (wholesaler).
The new electronic 4473s are not transmitted to anyone. It is just a system which is only on your hard drive, not externally accessible. Like Quickbooks or similar. If ATF wants a trace even with an electronically filed 4473 they still have to call the FFL and request the info. At least for now.
That's precisely my point. It's useless for second hand firearms "traces."

While doing my best work this morning, I had a thought I wanted to pitch out.

Georgia is now a permitless carry state. While there are still some benefits to having a Weapon Carry License WCL (reciprocity in other states, and reduced waiting periods for purchases from an FFL). To some people those benefits might be worth fingerprints and $75.

I see alot of listing in the forum with the seller listing "a peek at GDL and WCL". I have pushed too hard on folks if a current WCL is a condition of sale.

My point is this; if we the gun community refuse to engage in private transactions without proof of government background check, then why do the calls for universal background checks cause such uproar in our group?

I hold no animosity against sellers that ask for a peek, you handle your business how you want. I'm just curious if the hypocrisy is apparent to everyone and what other folks think about it.

GD good point!! I'll let the knowledge base of the ODT speak on this.

That's precisely my point. It's useless for second hand firearms "traces."
Yep, pretty useless. Possibly if I took it in on trade from the original owner they might be able to trace it to me but not a very high probability.

Hell I've been in some of the local gun shops in Macon and smell guys that reek of weed coming in to buy guns. They just get shown the door because they can't answer the 4473 without lying about being an unlawful user.

I work in Colorado a bit during the year doing IT crap...it is amazing...can carry a pistol in Denver but not a knife with a blade over 3.5". even with a carry permit. but you can open carry a sword. ****ing Colorado...20 years ago it was a lot different.

edit: cannot concealed carry a blade over 3.5"...even with a carry permit.
Isn’t this where ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ comes into play?

Back
Top Bottom