• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shower thoughts on Universal Background Checks

I sort of agree with the OP though. We all bitch and moan here about the government violating our rights, and bemoan having to have had a WCL in the first place. And now that we are constitutional carry we don't need one anyways. So the only reason to get one and get fingerprinted is for FFL ease of purchase or state reciprocity. So I get his point of, why then do we see so many here ask to see one as a condition?

I get it, their stuff their rules, but to me it's a turn off. And I absolutely agree with you, you WILL get a better deal at an LGS than here on ODT these days. :lol:

As for me I'll never ask to see a peek of your permit.

The problem with the "Piece of mind" argument, is you really don't know. We don't know if they've got something pending but still have their permit in their pocket, we don't really know if/what their intentions are purchasing it, we don't know if they're buying it for their Uncle who's got a felony. It's the same argument as asking for a BoS for piece of mind. It doesn't really do anything.
Also, there is no law saying you have to prove anything in a private sale. The law basically states that you cannot legally sell to someone if you have a reasonable suspicion they cannot own it.

Meh, I don’t need a peek. Roll up looking like a gang banger, smelling like weed…don’t care if you have a permit or not. Look like a normal person, I don’t care if you have a permit or not.
100%, or rolling up with out of state tags. Reasonable suspicion.

I don't disagree, the "peace of mind" that I was referring to comes with being able to tell a judge that you performed some type of due diligence. I realize that an individual could simply say "I don't remember", if they were asked about the individual that they sold to. The only time that I ask to peak at a WCL is if I have doubts during a sale (e.g., age, shady individual, etc.). I think that it's only happened one time. I have a WCL due to the benefits of reciprocity, I travel a lot with work and most all of the states I travel to reciprocate a GA WCL.
I work in Colorado a bit during the year doing IT crap...it is amazing...can carry a pistol in Denver but not a knife with a blade over 3.5". even with a carry permit. but you can open carry a sword. ****ing Colorado...20 years ago it was a lot different.

edit: cannot concealed carry a blade over 3.5"...even with a carry permit.

I don't disagree, the "peace of mind" that I was referring to comes with being able to tell a judge that you performed some type of due diligence. I realize that an individual could simply say "I don't remember", if they were asked about the individual that they sold to. The only time that I ask to peak at a WCL is if I have doubts during a sale (e.g., age, shady individual, etc.). I think that it's only happened one time. I have a WCL due to the benefits of reciprocity, I travel a lot with work and most all of the states I travel to reciprocate a GA WCL.
Yeah I always just go with my gut feeling. If they look sketchy or something seems off, no deal. But otherwise, I'm not asking for a BoS, permit, peak at anything. I know some guys on here that would record all that and your license plate :lol: But then bitch about the government violating our rights and tracking us.

At the risk of making the "law 'n order" and junior FFL wannabe's heads explode, what if we just allowed people to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed rights and purchase firearms ANYWHERE without a 4473 OR a GWL? How about that?

I'd vote for that. Hell I'd volunteer to campaign for it.

If you do not "need" a permit for carrying, why do you need a permit or a declaration of eligibility for buying it?

At the risk of making the "law 'n order" and junior FFL wannabe's heads explode, what if we just allowed people to exercise their constitutionally guaranteed rights and purchase firearms ANYWHERE without a 4473 OR a GWL? How about that?

If you do not "need" a permit for carrying, why do you need a permit or a declaration of eligibility for buying it?
stop making sense.

I'd be all for that, but just like paying taxes (absolute theft), we are still responsible to the powers that be for our actions...and depending on what judge/jury you get, you're held responsible for actions that weren't yours to begin with! The system is corrupt at it's core, and I could make a list a mile long on how the government screw us every day, but unless an individual is willing to go to prison over their beliefs, we are where we are. I absolutely detest having to fill out a 4473 (which is why I avoid buying at a gun store), I don't want my purchases cataloged for future perusal by some asshat looking for someone to blame for something, or having someone make the decision that I have too many weapons. I have never documented **** on a person to person purchase, but I also don't trust everyone I meet to be truthful and honest...the last thing I want is to be dragged into court because some idiot lawyer blames ME for selling a weapon to someone that wasn't legally able to own one. Like I said, I don't typically ask to see anything unless I have doubts, and it's not to copy their information, it's just for peace of mind - and so if I am ever in a position to be questioned, I can say "yeah, he was old enough and from this state".

I'd be all for that, but just like paying taxes (absolute theft), we are still responsible to the powers that be for our actions...and depending on what judge/jury you get, you're held responsible for actions that weren't yours to begin with! The system is corrupt at it's core, and I could make a list a mile long on how the government screw us every day, but unless an individual is willing to go to prison over their beliefs, we are where we are. I absolutely detest having to fill out a 4473 (which is why I avoid buying at a gun store), I don't want my purchases cataloged for future perusal by some asshat looking for someone to blame for something, or having someone make the decision that I have too many weapons. I have never documented **** on a person to person purchase, but I also don't trust everyone I meet to be truthful and honest...the last thing I want is to be dragged into court because some idiot lawyer blames ME for selling a weapon to someone that wasn't legally able to own one. Like I said, I don't typically ask to see anything unless I have doubts, and it's not to copy their information, it's just for piece of mind - and so if I am ever in a position to be questioned, I can say "yeah, he was old enough and from this state".
4473s for second hand firearms are NEARLY COMPLETELY useless if they DIDN'T come through a distributor (i.e., Century Arms or other importer) in regards to "tracing firearms purchases."

They are of limited utility in tracing purchases of "new" guns too. Complete waste of time and resources.

Back
Top Bottom