• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shouldn't 97 model vehicles be emissions exempt?

They are 26 year model old vehicles. The clean air act says 25 year old models and newer must emissions test in Ga, in counties that test.

The rules changed this year (at least in Fulton County). I think it's 1997 to 2018 right now require emissions.

Seeing the same in Douglas...
Found the rules. Looks like there is a list of exempt vehicles.

This is for this year.

The three most recent model year vehicles are exempt from emissions testing each year. For registration in 2021, this includes all 2019 and newer model year vehicles.

Additionally, vehicles that are 25 model years or older are exempt from emissions testing. This includes 1996 or older model year vehicles for 2021 registration. View a list of all vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing.

Also you can get an exemption for a vehicle that is at least 10 years old, and you are 65 years old, and you don't drive it over 5,000 miles in a year. I have one like this, a 2003 Mercury.

I appreciate all you good fellers posting the rules I've already read twice, or three times. The questions I have are 1). Aren't 1997 model vehicles 26 year old models? 2). Are we buying 2021 tags right now? 3). If we are buying 2021 tags, why do they have 2022 on them? 4). Why does the tag on my car that's been there a year, have 2021 on it? Wasn't it, technically, a 2021 year tag?.......
Oh boy, oh boy, I cant wait for this one....

I appreciate all you good fellers posting the rules I've already read twice, or three times. The questions I have are 1). Aren't 1997 model vehicles 26 year old models? 2). Are we buying 2021 tags right now? 3). If we are buying 2021 tags, why do they have 2022 on them? 4). Why does the tag on my car that's been there a year, have 2021 on it? Wasn't it, technically, a 2021 year tag?.......
Oh boy, oh boy, I cant wait for this one....

I asked them something similar in 2018 when bought a new vehicle and it was close to what would have been renewal time. I was not moving a tag, so it was new registration. The explanation was that I was paying for a partial year and then the full year so I didn't have do it twice in a short period of time. The date on my tags in GA has been when they expire.

On the 1997 thing, I read those rules several times and they conflict with themselves.

Back
Top Bottom