• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Should you get training?

Physical fitness plays a part in how you react under stress, but training with the tools on a regular basis in designed scenarios determines not only how you respond, but enables you to be more fluid in your actions. But, nothing will tell you if you have the personality to react, but the situation itself.

Mount up, and jump, with a Rebel Yell (if it works for you.)

Last edited:
Only if the Man who can a mile under 4 minutes knows NOTHING about how to fight with a gun. You can down play, like most Americans, the reality of fitness and how it relates to fighting and winning. It doesn't change the fact that all serious fighters, and by serious I mean those who have a proven record of prevailing consistently in armed combat, spend some portion of almost every day doing physical training. Fighting effectively (whether it be with a pistol, rifle, knife, club) against a skilled opponent is physical.

I smoke cigarettes, eat pizzas, and drink beers.

Physical fitness plays a part in how you react under stress, but training with the tools on a regular basis in designed scenarios determines not only how you respond, but enables you to be more fluid in your actions. But, nothing will tell you if you have the personality to react, but the situation itself.

Mount up, and jump, with a Rebel Yell (if it works for you.)
:thumb:

Only if the Man who can a mile under 4 minutes knows NOTHING about how to fight with a gun. You can down play, like most Americans, the reality of fitness and how it relates to fighting and winning. It doesn't change the fact that all serious fighters, and by serious I mean those who have a proven record of prevailing consistently in armed combat, spend some portion of almost every day doing physical training. Fighting effectively (whether it be with a pistol, rifle, knife, club) against a skilled opponent is physical.

I don't downplay the importance of staying physically fit. People get old, injured, or incapacitated in other ways that make skills you develop without regard to strength or endurance much more important within a persons lifespan. Personally, I chuckle when I see people running there asses off until their face is red right next to a road choked with the fumes of thousands of automobiles. Might as well close the garage with your car running and hop on an elliptical trainer. I find shooting dimes out of the air and yoga much more rewarding. ;)

Most Gun owners would be better served buying a GOOD PAIR OF RUNNING SHOES and a BASIC FITNESS MANUAL before spending a dime on shooting instruction.
Thousands of people defend themselves successfully with a firearm annually without the benefit of training OR a cardio program

WHY......

1.) The majority of people are fat.
2.) Fitness is the first priority of any serious GUN fighter.

I consider myself proficient with firearms. By proficient I mean able to safely handle one under stress. I do not, never have nor ever will consider myself a gunfighter, warrior, sheepdog or any other of those glib terms the latest crop of trainers tend to over use.

3.) You'll shoot better under stress, GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK!
4.) You'll fight better under stress and a load (gear), GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK!
5.) You'll feel better, even on your worst day.
6.) You'll have a better quality of life.
7.) THE BEST AND MOST DANGEROUS PREDATORS DO IT.
8.) IF YOU CARRY A GUN FOR DEFENSE/PROTECTION, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO FIGHT IT WILL BE AGAINST PREDATORS! If you don't think so, you will be better suited sticking to video games.

YOUR ABILITY TO FIGHT EFFICIENTLY IS DIRECTLY TIED TO YOUR HEART RATE. FIT PEOPLE START 35 TO 40 BEATS PER MINUTE (BPM) BELOW MANY AVERAGE AMERICANS. WHEN FIT FIGHTERS ARE AT 115 TO 145 BPS (OPTIMUM FIGHTING HEART RATE) AVERAGE AMERICANS ARE AT 175 TO 200 BPM.

A MODERATELY SKILLED (MINDSET, TACTICS, SKILLS) FIT FIGHTER WINS THAT BATTLE AGAINST A HIGHLY SKILLED (MINDSET, TACTICS, SKILLS) UNFIT FIGHTER EVERY TIME.

Thousands of people defend themselves successfully with a firearm annually without the benefit of training OR a cardio program

I consider myself proficient with firearms. By proficient I mean able to safely handle one under stress. I do not, never have nor ever will consider myself a gunfighter, warrior, sheepdog or any other of those glib terms the latest crop of trainers tend to over use.

Then as long as anyone who intends you harm telegraphs their intent enough to allow you to draw, you should be fine.

I think the trait of being dedicated to physical fitness, and training with a firearm go together. If you have spent any time with truly dedicated shooters, you see them constantly subconsciously tuning their skills. I spent a couple days working with a NYC swat officer. He would work his draw, again and again. We were in a place where he wasn't allowed to carry. You could make out the movements for a Type III holster. I worked with a really good competitive shooter for awhile. He did the same thing. When I was in the Army, when I spent enough time behind an M-16, it just came together. When I got transferred, and didn't spend the time, I lost it. When in the Navy, the Marines issued me a 45, that I rarely even saw except during deployments. Although it was comforting, I never had that bonded feeling.

There ought to be a basic firearms class taught to everyone old enough to buy a gun. Make it an elective in high school. They make kids take drivers education and Joshua's law. But, we all know that ain't gonna happen. There would be toooooo many ppl pissing and moaning that their kids were exposed to violence, when in reality the kids see mama get beat up by dad on a regular basis or they play video games with guns all day.i do think people should get some sort of firearms care, safety and maintenance training. Like someone said earlier, "they talk about using it to defend themselves yet the gun is caked in rust". Fortunately I was, along with most people in here, brought up in a firearm environment and was taught from day one to respect a weapon and the fundamentals of them. Heck, make everyone of military age join the military for 2 years, it would help a whole bunch of people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom