• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Should you get training?

The blind leading the blind. :heh:

Some of the targets shot by people who haven't ever been formally trained look like the were fired by blind shooters... until they learn the fundamentals of stance, grip, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger press, & followthrough.

Any professional Instructor will tell you the hardest people to teach are those that are self-taught since they have "range scars" developed over years of doing it wrong.

And the professional instructor isn't biased by having skin in the game?

I've known guys who were naturals. Scared the heck out of me, but man could they shoot.

And the professional instructor isn't biased by having skin in the game?

I've known guys who were naturals. Scared the heck out of me, but man could they shoot.

Exceptions rather than the rule, there are plenty of good "instructors" that are not in the commercial side as well that would agree, most in fact I would guess. Somewhere along the line most have had a reasonably trained individual "show them the ropes". Even if it was a father that had minimal military training and then plenty of hobby time.

Last edited:
Some of the targets shot by people who haven't ever been formally trained look like the were fired by blind shooters... until they learn the fundamentals of stance, grip, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger press, & followthrough.

Any professional Instructor will tell you the hardest people to teach are those that are self-taught since they have "range scars" developed over years of doing it wrong.
Nice "range scars" I am going to use that one. :thumb:

It's a topic for sure.

Interesting how some folks who are against "mandatory training requirement for a carry license" don't speak up about mandatory training / testing for driver's license. It's just one analogy.

Just witness some of the dipsh*ts at almost any gun range on a Saturday ... some of those who think no training should be required may change their opinion after watching some of the antics. :)

Gun rights- Constitutional
Driving- Privilege.

It's a topic for sure.

Interesting how some folks who are against "mandatory training requirement for a carry license" don't speak up about mandatory training / testing for driver's license. It's just one analogy.

Just witness some of the dipsh*ts at almost any gun range on a Saturday ... some of those who think no training should be required may change their opinion after watching some of the antics. :)

Go down to the Capitol and watch THOSE dipsh*ts attempt to legislate. Sorry but I'll leave if someone seems unsafe on the range. I may be stuck with some moronic law passed by a bunch of idiots who know nothing about firearms or training trying to ensure WE are all bending to their will? HELL NO - no State or Federal mandated training for a CCW. EVER. They get their hands on that and you can kiss your CCW rights good bye.

At some point you will NOT pass their test for whatever reason, or fee, or mandate they can apply.

Go down to the Capitol and watch THOSE dipsh*ts attempt to legislate. Sorry but I'll leave if someone seems unsafe on the range. I may be stuck with some moronic law passed by a bunch of idiots who know nothing about firearms or training trying to ensure WE are all bending to their will? HELL NO - no State or Federal mandated training for a CCW. EVER. They get their hands on that and you can kiss your CCW rights good bye.

At some point you will NOT pass their test for whatever reason, or fee, or mandate they can apply.

All valid points, will not support mandatory training at all.
Do have one question, does military training count as firearms training? Or are you strictly speaking of concealed carry?

All valid points, will not support mandatory training at all.
Do have one question, does military training count as firearms training? Or are you strictly speaking of concealed carry?

CCW, but the guys I went to school with that were military trained were not anyone I would want to teach a class.
They spent most of their time walking around with a rifle or pistol and no mag. They weren't operators by any means!
That's not a knock on our military in general. Just the yahoo's I know!

Sure I'm biased.

As far as shooting goes, a lot of people can shoot a gun but fighting with one is a totally different matter.

But that open another can of worms... I've been in gun fights, and still heed the sound training from many instructors who may not have been. But in the back of my mind I still ponder how someone who has never fired a shot at another person firing shots at them could truly equate to it.

As far as a mandated training requirement like say Tennessee... Heck no.

Back
Top Bottom