• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shadow work, meditation, et cetera…

Shadow work is basically recognizing the dark parts of your personality, things you have repressed inside yourself for whatever reason, and getting to know these aspects to better yourself and your relationships. It’s easy to project these dark parts on others. Recognizing this and working on it can go a long way.

Meditation I’m sure you know about. I don’t do it much, but my wife does and has me trying these things. Stress, anxiety and anger are killers and I’m tired of dealing with them. I also am tired of regretting overreacting and being negative. This stuff takes some dedication to learn and practice. And patience. Just wondering if others are into it.

I meditate almost daily... just finished in fact, but know nothing of shadow work. Theres a whole fascinating world of self exploration tools available that are not main stream.. dive in, never too late to start working on yourself.

I meditate almost daily... just finished in fact, but know nothing of shadow work. Theres a whole fascinating world of self exploration tools available that are not main stream.. dive in, never too late to start working on yourself.
It does take some discipline and effort to reserve some time away from the rat race and chaos in order to get anywhere with this. I assume most people never try or simply give up when instant gratification or quick results aren’t achieved.

A large part of mental wellness is understanding yourself.

Being able to understand why you do things or the way you feel about things is the result of such practice.

We all have "triggers" that influence emotional or physical response.

Once you understand yourself better you can better understand the people around you and predict their response.

Addiction can be many things other than drugs or alcohol...some big some small.
Example is social media or information/activity addiction.

Another is escapism...finding other things to focus on instead of dealing with the things that need doing.

Ever met a person who cannot have a discussion about a topic without getting mad.
The ability to see multiply sides of a argument or problem is a huge tool but many of us only focus on the visible and our point of view is the most visible...lol

We all have our little demons and when we acknowledge them we gain more power over ourselves and how we react and deal with those in our sphere of influence.

Example... possible looming gun/magazine ban...Obama election.

How many people rushed out to buy AR's and magazines....because the regimes didn't want them to have them.
Telling someone they can't have something makes them want it more.

I applaud you and encourage your journey.

Thank you Winterborne. Great information. I suffer from some of the things you mentioned. I appreciate your response. I’m going to keep at this and try to balance myself out.

Small steps.
Set small goals.
Talk to loved ones.

Set aside time to do nothing but relax and NOT think.

If I don't do something I know why I didn't and don't make excuses about it.
Being truthful with yourself isn't easy.

I have not had an easy life..but someone always has it worse and would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Now that I am older I pay more attention to my activities such as spending, leisure time and finally work.

I could work a lot more than I do and I would make great money.
Money/Work does not make you happier...it can distract you at the price of spending time on your family/self.

Find the balance.

P.S. I have to curb my gun/car hobbies so I set limits.
I get methodical and am honest about need vs want.
Just because I can afford to buy a Dodge Demon or a Scar 17 should I.

I treat myself really good for my birthday each year and will put money back for a new vehicle, gun or vacation..a goal and a reward kinda thing.
What I need/want can change considerable by the time I spend the money.

Back
Top Bottom