• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling Legalities Loop Hole

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
So from what I understand, you have to have a license to manufacture ammo for sale. But is it legal to manufacture ammo and give it away?

Like for instance, I'll sell you this empty ammo can for X amount and I'll throw in some free ammo.

Similarly, my sister does taxidermy. Apparently a law was passed in GA recently that you have to have a license to sell that as well. Fox bones were added to the prohibited list also. I hate government so much. DNR was at the oddities convention in Atlanta last weekend and busted some vendors because no one, not even the convention owners, knew this was recently passed. I. Hate. Government.

Anyway, could she say sell a bag for X amount and the mount or fox bones comes free?

The ammo situation was answered somwhere else. As I remember it, the issue is that duty has to have been paid on the brass(?).

Certainly not legal advice, but this seems like a taxation issue, and if no money or goods were exchanged, no financial transation has occurred, and by extension, no taxable event.

I'd expect that kind of transaction (selling ammo cans and gifting the contents) would attract some attention at some point, and I'm not sure that the sale of ammo cans would be sufficient protection if you had to defend yourself in a lawsuit.

At the end of the day a judge or jury would see through this ruse. The IRS has been dealing with tricks like this for years, and there's a ton of case law and precedent out there.

However if you really want to poke a bear that has unlimited resources to toss your butt in jail, all to make a few bucks off reloads...

Back
Top Bottom