Really excited about kayak fishing.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I have been interested in kayak fishing for a while now and thanks to the advise and guidance I have received from members on the ODT and others I'll be launching my new kayak on it's first fishing trip soon.

I got a Jackson Cuda 12 from Outside World in Dawsonville a couple of weeks ago and Walt (a professional kayak striper guide on Lanier and President of the Georgia Kayak Fishing Association) helped me select the right accessories and rigging for the boat. What a great guy! He spent almost three hours with me and just shined his light of knowledge and experience on me. LOL! He also did all of the rigging for me at no cost! To say the least, I learned A LOT!

I'm also fairly certain that it was xGAxBlueChip that responded with a long and informative PM about getting the right boat when I started a thread about it several months ago. I can't thank you enough for that. You helped me make the right decisions and not waste a bunch of money getting into this sport. You said the best all-round kayak for fishing in your opinion was the Cuda 12. I did several months of research on my own after your PM and came to the same conclusion. What a fantastic boat!

The Jackson Cuda 12 is a marvel of design and engineering. It was obviously designed buy people that KNOW what they are doing and is a no compromise all out fishing machine with great capability. You can do anything to stream fishing for trout to salt water for sailfish and tarpon.

Now all I have to do is learn to swim. j/k

Pics to follow!

Well done bear. They are nice indeed. Though I haven't fished that model, I suspect you'll really like (or your back will like) that seating position. I got the bug year before last as well. Bought a new camo Perception Pescador 12'. Got such a steal on it I just couldn't pass it up. Really a GREAT boat, especially for the money, but like any other flat seat arrangement, my back is BROKEN after a few hours fishing. Let's go hit the river one day!

Last edited:
I did a lot of it in NJ. Make sure to get an anchor, and a dry bag.....especially a dry bag. I was able to paddle through 6 inches of water to get back to hidden pockets of fish. What a great way to get on the water.

Well done bear. They are nice indeed. Though I haven't fished that model, I suspect you'll really like (or your back will like) that seating position. I got the bug year before last as well. Bought a new camo Perception Pescador 12'. Got such a steal on it I just couldn't pass it up. Really a GREAT boat, especially for the money, but like any other flat seat arrangement, my back is BROKEN after a few hours fishing. Let's go hit the river one day!

You're on, but how about going after Lanier stripers?

I did a lot of it in NJ. Make sure to get an anchor, and a dry bag.....especially a dry bag. I was able to paddle through 6 inches of water to get back to hidden pockets of fish. What a great way to get on the water.

Yep. Already have a dry bag, anchor, drift sock and anchor trolley.

Not me brother. I hate getting on Lanier in my 1648 John with the crazies I'm not about to take my kayak. I might be willing to take it up to Lula if you'd like. I missed a striper up there in my boat that swiped at my lure right at the boat. The buddy I was with looked at me like he had seen a ghost it was so big. I just lauged and said... "I think we're gonna' need a bigger boat!". ;)

Not me brother. I hate getting on Lanier in my 1648 John with the crazies I'm not about to take my kayak. I might be willing to take it up to Lula if you'd like. I missed a striper up there in my boat that swiped at my lure right at the boat. The buddy I was with looked at me like he had seen a ghost it was so big. I just lauged and said... "I think we're gonna' need a bigger boat!". ;)

Lula sounds good to me, but you're going to have to play guide, I've never been on that lake.

With that said, a Kayak is safer on Lanier than even my 20' Blind Duck was. You can ride the waves and even if you get capsized it's no big deal in a sit on top kayak. Just flip it back over, climb back in and keep fishing. Of course, in these water temps a dry suit is a good idea and you ALWAYS wear your PFD. It also goes without saying, Never On The Weekend.

My old kayak isnt by any means the optimal fishing rig, bit its a trip when you get that bite and a striper is dragging you around

IMG_0013s.jpeg

Your going to have a great time

Going out on Lanier in a fishing kayak (or really any small craft) is suicide.
There are so many other bodies of water you can access with your rig without getting run over by idiots!

Not me brother. I hate getting on Lanier in my 1648 John with the crazies I'm not about to take my kayak.

^^^^^^^^ Knowledgeable advice right here!

I've been kicking a kayak around myself but having trouble finding one that could safely handle my big ass plus gear.
I've had a canoe for years and love the capacity, roominess, stability but its obviously more of a chore transporting.

Back
Top Bottom