• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-Nickel S&W Model 28

It sounds like they saved you from a big mistake by not doing that any more.

As mentioned above, I would find out a lot more about that gun before you touch anything on it. Probably even want to pay for a 'Jink's Letter' from the factory if it's as rares as it sounds like it could be.

I will reach out to Ford's too. I did get a PM recommendation for APW Crogan in AL. I did call him and seemed pretty knowledgeable and had a decent turn around time. The 28 is a no-dash, early serial from 1957ish. I always thought it was a 60s-70s chrome job. The gunsmith I took it to in SC said it looked to be factory so who knows. Just one part of the cylinder is bad. Dad wasn't only owner he got it sometime late 60s he estimates.

Attachments

• 37006195-0350-47F7-8796-67CE9EA105E4.jpeg
    37006195-0350-47F7-8796-67CE9EA105E4.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 70
You could just have the cylinder re-plated, more like a repair. There is a lot to be said about keeping it original, but its your gun. If you want it to look good, get it redone. The general process goes something like this: the old nickel has to be stripped, any imperfections will be be filed or polished out as much as possible, deep pitting might be filled and then plated over—-$$$, then the new nickel is applied.

I have some of Accurate Plating’s work and have seen a few from Ford’s. They are both good. I just happen to have used Accurate Plating and Weaponry, and I like the way Mr. Cogan runs his operation. He gets the work out in a reasonable amount of time, and is capable of any extra gunsmithing that may need to be done.

Back
Top Bottom