• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Re-Nickel S&W Model 28

I sent him three 1911s a few years ago. He hard chromed them, and did some extra work on one of them, and had them back to me in a couple of weeks. Good turn around and great work.

Please, let us see the finished work when it returns.

Some of you guys seem to know your S & Ws so maybe you can help me. I picked up a 5 screw k frame square butt 2” that was shot very little, but has a very well worn finish. It shoots great and I am considering refinishing. It dates to around 1955 so one of the last years of 5 screw. Does it have any real value and warrant keeping as is or reblue? Or should I just do whatever tickles my fancy. Thanks.
75A979E5-A346-452C-AF1C-261419A2BD2C.jpeg

I will let others comment on the value, but will say that the finish looks pretty good to me. If you are going to get it wet and sweaty carrying it, maybe a refinish is needed to prevent rust. If you think it will stay free of rust, I recommend leaving it “as is.”

That picture makes it look a lot better than it actually is. No rust at all...but probably about at best 50% finish remains. I just ordered up set of service type grips and will be carrying it on occasion. It will see sweat.

You could do it yourself at home.

I did one of mine that was pretty bad. I purchased a used, Blued side plate off eBay, removed the finish and nickel plated it myself. Made my own nickel acetate solution.

Here is the Side Plate Before
Before.JPG

Here is the once Blued Side Plate after my home Nickel Job. This is also a Model 28
After.JPG

You will get lots of suggestions, and they will all probably be good ones. You just have to decide what you want out of the gun.

If it were mine: I would have it reblued at either Glenrock Bluing, or Accurate Plating and Weaponry (APW). Most likely APW due to its location. While they have it: an action job and a bobbed hammer would be nice.

Back
Top Bottom