• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Question about HOA Law.??

any updates?
The lawyer for a homeowner is waiting for the audit from over a three year period. The HOA has been dissolved three times since 2020 and the members of the board it has been discovered do not own any homes. To be legit you have to have your name on the deed. Also 2/3 quorum of home owners needed to be present for any meeting or emergency meeting, which did not happen. Since the lady who embezzled the money is 63 years old and the agreement of 10k cashiers check and a 1000 dollars a month to repay remaining would take 15 years isn’t settling well will home owners. Prosecution is inevitable.

The lawyer for a homeowner is waiting for the audit from over a three year period. The HOA has been dissolved three times since 2020 and the members of the board it has been discovered do not own any homes. To be legit you have to have your name on the deed. Also 2/3 quorum of home owners needed to be present for any meeting or emergency meeting, which did not happen. Since the lady who embezzled the money is 63 years old and the agreement of 10k cashiers check and a 1000 dollars a month to repay remaining would take 15 years isn’t settling well will home owners. Prosecution is inevitable.
I have never had to deal with/be a part of a HOA and I had no idea the "boards" even had access to that kind of money. I honestly thought it was just rule makers and votes. Sorry this is happening to everyone involved.

Holy smokes!

How did they become HOA Board members while not owning any homes? Jeez!

I guess since most people don't want to be a Board Member, it's easy to slip in without being vetted...Like in my case, I haven't been to any meetings and I have no idea who is on the board although I see signs for meetings every few months or so. I should probably make it a point to show up to the next one.

If none (or most) of them own any homes in that neighborhood, I'd think it's likely they were all getting a payday out of it

My HOA is drawing millions of dollars annually, I'm positive it's not all going back to the homeowners in the form of ammenities and upkeep.

This is a criminal situation. The HOA can't vote whether or not to prosecute. Criminal charges can't be brought/dropped by any HOA.

I think the district attorney's office would be the place to start. They will know what the next steps are

This is a criminal situation. The HOA can't vote whether or not to prosecute. Criminal charges can't be brought/dropped by any HOA.

I think the district attorney's office would be the place to start. They will know what the next steps are
Right, DA is involved at this time… my best guess is they are gathering more information. But HOA is still asking for dues.. we haven’t had our 2/3 quorum and voting in house owning members… it’s a phucking mess right now.

I guess since most people don't want to be a Board Member, it's easy to slip in without being vetted...Like in my case, I haven't been to any meetings and I have no idea who is on the board although I see signs for meetings every few months or so. I should probably make it a point to show up to the next one.
Right, that's what I'm trying to figure out. We have an HOA as well, granted they don't act like Nazi's and I get along with them. However, we all know for a fact members live there. They also encourage non members to run during the next election cycle to not look like it's some kind of dictatorship. I'm not much for meetings either, haven't had a reason to go or anything to really complain about. Honestly the only purpose they serve is to maintain/upkeep the community pool, gym, and playground. Never heard of anyone getting in trouble for their grass being to tall or having a loud car or some nonsense.

If you don’t show up this is what happens… I’m one to talk.. so yeah. But my neighbor on one side is a come up section 8 ( mom bought house for her) and very little rule enforcement, pool is nasty all the time.. this bull Shiite

Back
Top Bottom