• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plumbers- I need advice on a water filter replacement

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I moved into an old fishing cabin that was used seasonally. I assumed when hard winter hit they drained the water from the pipes.

So, spidey senses tell me this water filter needs changing. And it looks like there are no shutoff valves to unscrew the filter housing (I assume it is just like an oil filter?). There is a main shut off valve. But I was told that if I turn The main off and unscrew the filter housing I am going to empty out the whole house of water on the levels above.

Is it worth it to have a plumber come in and install two shutoff valves- one on either side of the water filter? If so, any idea of what this would cost? I am in up North Habersham County.

Where do I get this water filter?

Attachments

• 20230920_084639.jpg
    20230920_084639.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230920_084648.jpg
    20230920_084648.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230920_084655.jpg
    20230920_084655.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230920_084701.jpg
    20230920_084701.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 27
How did they drain the pipes without a shutoff?

There has to be one somewhere. Is it on a well? You can turn off the pump while you change the filter if so.

There is a main shut off valve. But I was told that if I turn the main off and unscrew the filter housing I am going to empty out the whole house of water on the levels above. There should have been shut offs right next to the actual water filter so I do not have to drain the whole house of water. If that sounds right? I am not a plumber.

It looks like CPVC so you can do the shutoff valves yourself for a few bucks. Check homedepot for that filter, it looks pretty basic.

The pics didn't show up first time around, when you said cabin I was thinking shack not house...lol

For convenience, I'd put a shut-off valve either side of the filter as you suggest. Depending on your layout, you might even want to put a drain cock there so you can empty the plumbing during the off-season.

Parts for that job are going to be under $30. Labor? I can't imagine it'll be very expensive.

If you need to change it right now, shut off the main, turn on the lowest faucet in the house and let it drain. When it has drained, replace the filter and turn the main back on. You will have air in the pipes but it will purge if you go around and open the faucets slightly for a few minutes.

Open your hose connections after you cut the water off. That should drain the lines. When you turn the water on leave the hose connection on to bleed the air out and any particulate from the filter.

Back
Top Bottom