• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Old Colt 38 Lighting 38 colt cartridge

REB

Eagle Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
131   0
Reaction score
Just want to share a very interesting gun from the back of the safe. I am not an expert on these so if you have any info or comments please politely share. This is a Colt Lighting 38 DA. They were made from 1877 through 1909 I believe. This example is from 1880 or 81. I think the short barreled models were called Shopkeepers Specials. This one as far as I can tell is all original and functions perfectly in single and double action modes. This is Colt's first attempt at making a double action revolver and from reading about it they called it "self cocking". These are rumored to be very fragile and prone to easily break, so I don't play with it much, I imagine getting parts might be a problem. This is chambered for the 38 colt round NOT the 38 special. Some of the old west famous rowdy's that may have toted one of these Lightings, are John Wesley Hardin, Doc Holliday and Billy the Kid. If this gun could tell it's stories it would have my undivided attention. I make cutting boards, which this gun was photograph on if your interested in please contact me for pricing.
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG
IMG_1619.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom