• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

oh, f this

Not trying to be a jerk, but have you assembled a stripped lower before? It looks like you misaligned the bolt catch, which will trap the BC in place and prevent insertion of the pin. Pro tip: use a punch, inserted from the opposite side, as a slave pin. This will hold the BC in proper alignment while you drive the roll pin into place. Looks like the pin hit the BC and stopped, then you proceeded to beat the crap out of it. Technique and correct tools make even the bolt catch an easy task.

I'm sure that I've got some extras roll pins. Send me your address and I'll mail you a couple of replacements.

I actually slightly broke the plane, at the bolt release, before I placed it in. I was using the channel lock trick when the roll pin bent over. I am learning here, I should have stopped when I felt resistance. The last one pressed in very easy. This is only my second attempt at assembling a lower.

I actually slightly broke the plane, at the bolt release, before I placed it in. I was using the channel lock trick when the roll pin bent over. I am learning here, I should have stopped when I felt resistance. The last one pressed in very easy. This is only my second attempt at assembling a lower.

Gotcha. My guess is that it shifted slightly and the pin was hitting the BC, causing a hard stop. Which is why it bent when you increased pressure. I know alot of folks will tell you to use vice grips, channel locks or a rock and a stick to assemble a lower. Unfortunately, these half measures are the same reason that people tell you to wrap the whole lower in masking tape - they often result in damage. A small investment in a few roll pin punches will prevent the scratches and other damage that is so common with makeshift tools. And as you mentioned, if something doesn't feel right, stop what you're doing and figure out what's wrong instead of taking the BFH approach. In this particular case, there can be fairly wide variances between pins and lowers, so some are easy, others can be a little more difficult. If you want to get that jacked up pin out and reinstall a good one, you'll need a standard flat punch. Just drive it out towards the rear of the receiver.

Last edited:
Gotcha. My guess is that it shifted slightly and the pin was hitting the BC, causing a hard stop. Which is why it bent when you increased pressure. I know alot of folks will tell you to use vice grips, channel locks or a rock and a stick to assemble a lower. Unfortunately, these half measures are the same reason that people tell you to wrap the whole lower in masking tape - they often result in damage. A small investment in a few roll pin punches will prevent the scratches and other damage that is so common with makeshift tools. And as you mentioned, if something doesn't feel right, stop what you're doing and figure out what's wrong instead of taking the BFH approach. In this particular case, there can be fairly wide variances between pins and lowers, so some are easy, others can be a little more difficult. If you want to get that jacked up pin out and reinstall a good one, you'll need a standard flat punch. Just drive it out towards the rear of the receiver.

Thanks man for the reply. I believe it is time to get or replace my punch sets.

I put my first lower together like a child.. On the floor, with a small wood dowel to start the pin and a small ball peen hammer..

Once I got the pin started, I got a pair of boxers and wrapped the lower in it, then set it on top of a flip-flop and used my foot as support and hammered the pin in with a regular punch (no fancy roll pin punch)

Scratches/dings? NOPE, would I do it again? heck yeah, just not like a child..lol

Knipex pliers work great for putting in roll pins. They aren't cheap; but they do make it easy.

BTW, my Anderson lower was the regular version without the trigger guard. I think that it much have been the pin as I have built several without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom