• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Silver Guys,

I check into this thread every once in a blue moon, and I cannot remember if I've asked this before. I've seen recent conversations about guys who have handheld testers which got me int9.

When I was a YOUNG kid (early 60's) my Dad bought some silver melt from a jeweler in the little town in Wisconsin that we lived in. Less than 5,000 people back then.

This jeweler had been melting scrap silver (and presumably gold) and was pouring in into ball shaped molds. He sold a couple of the silver balls to my Father. I inherited them when he passed.

My question: How do I go about finding out the content of these and how much they might be worth? I am guessing that they are largely sterling, but I have no idea, they may have gold in them as well.

Here is a photo of what they look like. Each one weighs about 20+ ounces. I will try to weigh them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The orange is to give you a sense of their size.

Z

15967663458997354804115691704118.jpg

I also have a bunch of these. Curious as to their approximate values.

View attachment 2755076
Those are collectors
Made back in the mid 80s most likely
High premium and can be priced online at JMbullion or the likes. They are available on and off as secondary market items.

Are you looking to sell?

Perhaps, yes. I need to get an understanding of the content of those balls first.

Those are collectors
Made back in the mid 80s most likely
High premium and can be priced online at JMbullion or the likes. They are available on and off as secondary market items.

That's about when I started buying those bars, mid to late 80's. I remember the price of silver being really low. I picked up all of these I could find. I think I paid between $28.50 and $31.00 each. Bought bags of silver coins as well. I think the pricing back then was 2.5 times face value. Morgan dollars were higher. About 5.0 times face.

I'm probably looking to liquidate a lot of the coinage in the near future. Not sure if I should start with the more collectable, or generic.

Z

Back
Top Bottom