• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

Perhaps, yes. I need to get an understanding of the content of those balls first.

That's about when I started buying those bars, mid to late 80's. I remember the price of silver being really low. I picked up all of these I could find. I think I paid between $28.50 and $31.00 each. Bought bags of silver coins as well. I think the pricing back then was 2.5 times face value. Morgan dollars were higher. About 5.0 times face.

I'm probably looking to liquidate a lot of the coinage in the near future. Not sure if I should start with the more collectable, or generic.

Z
Those balls are probably .99+ of it was a hand pour by a jeweler.

I bought the set of peace dollars off here. I figured they were cleaned, but, still. Nice set, all cleaned.

I'm missing 4 Benjamin halves for the set if anyone has a fat stack of those to pick through.

My mercury dime set is about halfway.

I have the jefferson nickles.
Anyone have a set of Indian heads?

I found this really cool 5 ounce round down in the bins as well . . .

At least I think it's a 5 oz.

15967691851363276181855423905803.jpg

15967692470117242872843450411219.jpg

Reactions: MRM
Silver Guys,

I check into this thread every once in a blue moon, and I cannot remember if I've asked this before. I've seen recent conversations about guys who have handheld testers which got me int9.

When I was a YOUNG kid (early 60's) my Dad bought some silver melt from a jeweler in the little town in Wisconsin that we lived in. Less than 5,000 people back then.

This jeweler had been melting scrap silver (and presumably gold) and was pouring in into ball shaped molds. He sold a couple of the silver balls to my Father. I inherited them when he passed.

My question: How do I go about finding out the content of these and how much they might be worth? I am guessing that they are largely sterling, but I have no idea, they may have gold in them as well.

Here is a photo of what they look like. Each one weighs about 20+ ounces. I will try to weigh them tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The orange is to give you a sense of their size.

Z

View attachment 2755071

Specific gravity test is a possibility or some pawn shop or refiner that has an xrf analyzer. Silver acid test would tell but only on the surface. The xrf will be the same way. A refiner could also do a fire assay test.

Reactions: MRM
Those are collectors
Made back in the mid 80s most likely
High premium and can be priced online at JMbullion or the likes. They are available on and off as secondary market items.

That engelhard should get around 350 right now

Trying to do my research. Troy ounce, per Google-Fu, is 31.10 grams. These bars both weighed in at 312+ grams. One at 312.1g, the other at 312.2g.

At least there is no worries about them being short weighted.

Those silver balls weighed in at 649.4 grams and 650.2 grams respectively. Real close to 21 troy ounces each.

Just run the specific gravity. It will take some rods/ boards and some fishing line and a bucket, but, you could set it up fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom