• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ODT grinch behavior

How many people read every rule when they sign up for a new forum? (I know for a FACT a bunch here don't. :boink:) Yes that thread was a trainwreck.
While it's possible the new member was in fact 1) knowledgeable of our rules and 2) looking to game the system, I suspect it's more as you allude... simply doing what the vast majority of sites allow. There is a reason this place is thankfully not like most sites. 1) We are obviously not an auction site, Craigslist or Facebook and 2) We generally try and treat people, INCLUDING NEW MEMBERS, the way we'd like to be treated.
Every member I've ever met is top notch. It would be great if we don't run off the next group of top notch members by assuming the worst out of the gate.

Exactly. You made my point in far less words.

Sorry if it came off whiny...
No need to apologize to me.

In other words, don't offer something for sale at one price and then when someone accepts your offer back out of the deal. I'm a little old school that way...my word and my handshake are my bond. I like to deal with those kind of folks. Sure, sellers on here or buyers for that matter can renege on a deal...this is America. Everybody gets to choose what their word stands for...or doesn't.
I understand all of that...but it doesn't sound like, to me, that is what the seller did. Sounds to me like he was inundated with offers and only responded to the one he liked. Did he agree to your offer then renege and take another one? if so, that's a horse of a different color.

No need to apologize to me.

I understand all of that...but it doesn't sound like, to me, that is what the seller did. Sounds to me like he was inundated with offers and only responded to the one he liked. Did he agree to your offer then renege and take another one? if so, that's a horse of a different color.

It was kind of a sarcastic apology.:becky:

And it was not me in the recent thread linked above where seller apparently took a lower offer and then changed his mind to a full price, closer offer that came in about the same time.
In my case the seller chose to deal with me first because I responded first, agreed to his asking price and was willing to pay more than that if guns condition warranted it upon inspection.

My feeling about a seller who offers something for sale and then when you agree to his price, offer to meet him at the place of his choosing whenever it's convenient for him...and then he tells you "sorry I got a better offer"?

I forgot who said this but it sums up my feelings:

I ain't sayin it's wrong or it's right...I'm just sayin it sticks in my craw.

No deal was set in PMs.
Several members that know better, by their long history on this site, sent an offer and a phone number. Nothing further in PMs at all. These are as useless as an "I'll take it" as far as this site goes. I'd imagine if the members were acting like this was Facebook or Craigslist, then that was how thought he was to proceed.
Then everyone that wanted the gun at an insanely low price and didn't get the deal started piling on. Greed often brings out the worst in man...

The seller didn't take bids he took an offer at his original asking price with a convienient meet. Just as anyone would. The offers were so fast an numerous I doubt he could even keep track.

I hope those involved are proud.

It's actually refreshing that as forums in general go, that this can be discussed without a whole bunch of insulting banter here at the ODT. I lurked around for quite some time before creating an account purely for this reason.

In fact, this is the only forum that impressed me enough to actually become involved with and I can honestly say that I have had a relatively smooth experience through each transaction (even though they are few) and I have met enough characters that one day I may drag myself off the mountain to a M&G in town. Thank you to all for working to this end!

Proud to be ODT

Back
Top Bottom