• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ODT grinch behavior

Rules State= until price and meet is set = no deal, Right
I think if folks understood this better and what it really means there'd be less angst about missing a deal. I have gotten great deals here but never have felt the need to offer more than what was asked via pm.

everyone was kind when I first started and I try to do the same. promote the ODT in a positive when I meet new people out and recommend they check us out.
some of these newer folks just don't have a clue or common decency.

I just had one the other week, (Guys less than a year with 7 positive Feedback)
-asking me to text more pics,
-then asked what my best price was
- he then offered me $20 less
- I agreed because its money for Xmas presents and he'd have to meet me in my county.
At which point he says he will have to sell his rifle 1st to have the funds (Check his threads/no guns posted in the last few months, but there are other sites)
- So I kindly told him that was fine to send it in a PM on here and not through text and i'd hold it for him........GUESS WHO HASNT HEARD A WORD FROM HIM

And yes, he could have told you to POAR and sold it at a higher price. It never ceases to amaze me that people feel that someone is somehow entitled to behave with their property the way that you feel they should.

The bottom line is that the seller has complete freedom to do with the item whatever they desire and a silly little "I'll take it" in a thread is absolutely meaningless. Until the seller has agreed to sell on his terms, what you want, wish, or whine about how they behave is irrelevant.

Actually, I agree with this statement. I stand corrected. I really could not have "insisted" he honor his word and sell me a gun that he offered for a certain price just because I accepted his offer to sell via an "I'll take it" in a thread. You are exactly right...it's his gun and until my acceptance of his sales offer is completed with an exchange of "consideration" (you know - like he accepted a $1 down payment until we met) it is not a contract.
And per our rules on the ODT- until we agreed to time, place, etc...he is free to do as he pleases.

That don't make it right.

And I wasn't whining kind sir....I was just trying to defend a newbie seller a little bit.

It never ceases to amaze me how people whine about not being able to sell a Glock...people have a right to buy what they want, when they want and for the price they want. Touché.

I'm with you exept for the Hell part (that's some serious buis, think,hope=kinda jokin). I think a low ball offer on that gun would be a real Dbag move. Oh, and I'm glad folks like bypass,safecracka,crippen, even (hope i don't get in trouble) lauphen , etc had my back when i first got here among many others

Maybe the hell part was a little overboard. Maybe just a mild case of food poisoning or something?
I mean, using a kid Christmas scam is pretty low.

How many people read every rule when they sign up for a new forum? (I know for a FACT a bunch here don't. :boink:) Yes that thread was a trainwreck.
While it's possible the new member was in fact 1) knowledgeable of our rules and 2) looking to game the system, I suspect it's more as you allude... simply doing what the vast majority of sites allow. There is a reason this place is thankfully not like most sites. 1) We are obviously not an auction site, Craigslist or Facebook and 2) We generally try and treat people, INCLUDING NEW MEMBERS, the way we'd like to be treated.
Every member I've ever met is top notch. It would be great if we don't run off the next group of top notch members by assuming the worst out of the gate.

Actually, I agree with this statement. I stand corrected. I really could not have "insisted" he honor his word and sell me a gun that he offered for a certain price just because I accepted his offer to sell via an "I'll take it" in a thread. You are exactly right...it's his gun and until my acceptance of his sales offer is completed with an exchange of "consideration" (you know - like he accepted a $1 down payment until we met) it is not a contract.
And per our rules on the ODT- until we agreed to time, place, etc...he is free to do as he pleases.

That don't make it right.
It absolutely does make it right...because it is right. You, as a buyer, have zero leverage on a seller's property. Just because it's what you want him to do does not mean that it is what he has to do. You seem like a rational person, I don't understand why this is lost on you.

And I wasn't whining kind sir....I was just trying to defend a newbie seller a little bit.
I don't know the backstory, so maybe I'm not the best audience...but it came off as whiney. "I posted 'I'll take it' and I'm mad that seller didn't sell to me."

It never ceases to amaze me how people whine about not being able to sell a Glock...people have a right to buy what they want, when they want and for the price they want. Touché.
Clever turn of phrase, but my thread was not whining...it was simply an appeal to the market...and for whatever it's worth, I sold it.

Sorry if it came off whiny...I think we agree more than disagree about the right of a seller to do as he pleases. The thread that generated my rant was closed and people were giving a newbie seller hell because he took a higher, closer offer after apparently accepting a lower offer farther away...and I was trying to get people to cut him some newbie slack.

I do, however, like to deal with people who do what they say they will...regardless of any forum "rules".

In other words, don't offer something for sale at one price and then when someone accepts your offer back out of the deal. I'm a little old school that way...my word and my handshake are my bond. I like to deal with those kind of folks. Sure, sellers on here or buyers for that matter can renege on a deal...this is America. Everybody gets to choose what their word stands for...or doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom