• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NRL .22lr Match in Tallapoosa, Ga 9/18

Hmmm...mine was immediate I thought...but who knows. My issue is going to be nerves and not being familiar with shooting in random positions.

I'm hitting the range for a few hours Saturday morning and shooting as much prone and a few other positions as time will allow.
I signed up on s1

AB14E81B-E7A6-4E47-B0D4-51E884099D26.jpeg

I went up to the club and did a little practicing in the prone position, confirm my 50 yard zero and reconfirm the 50 - 100 yard DOPE for the ammo I’ll be shooting next Saturday. A few things I learned:

1) Laying prone for more than a few minutes at a time and looking up thru my scope are a strain on the eyes and head. I’m glad the stages are only a few minutes.

2) I feel using my 50 yard zero and simply holding over and only changing the parallax is the way to go for most stages. I was keeping my magnification between 12 - 15.

3) I still need a TON of dry fire practice for the stages in while bags on obstacles/your person are utilized as you move after shooting.

4) The really small KYL stage “Stay United for Flight 93” is haunting me and I haven’t even shot it yet.

4) THIS IS GONNA BE FUN!!!

View attachment 3495446
I went up to the club and did a little practicing in the prone position, confirm my 50 yard zero and reconfirm the 50 - 100 yard DOPE for the ammo I’ll be shooting next Saturday. A few things I learned:

1) Laying prone for more than a few minutes at a time and looking up thru my scope are a strain on the eyes and head. I’m glad the stages are only a few minutes.

2) I feel using my 50 yard zero and simply holding over and only changing the parallax is the way to go for most stages. I was keeping my magnification between 12 - 15.

3) I still need a TON of dry fire practice for the stages in while bags on obstacles/your person are utilized as you move after shooting.

4) The really small KYL stage “Stay United for Flight 93” is haunting me and I haven’t even shot it yet.

That’s a good looking Tikka! I’ll be shooting one on the 18th too. What kind of ammo are you running?

View attachment 3495446

Your rifle isn't set up correctly if it is straining you in prone.

I shoot a lot of holds. I mostly shoot around 12x

Your rifle isn't set up correctly if it is straining you in prone.

I shoot a lot of holds. I mostly shoot around 12x
I don’t personally think it’s the rifle setup. It’s all eye strain related, which I sometimes feel anyway when shooting for long periods of time as I am cross-eye dominate and I still shoot right handed (with both eyes open). I think it is just me getting use to finding the right spot every time that will take some of that fatigue away.

When do you dial versus hold? I felt like when I was trying to shoot my KYL target today at 110ish yards I needed the magnification up some more to feel comfortable with my hold over. Would you dial for a shot like that versus hold over? I guess the better question is, when do you feel the need to dial versus hold over?

Back
Top Bottom