• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Next projects are on deck for

Ha! Thanks. I just checked, rustin away to beat the band....figures, rust blue, its cold and dry out there and it seems to be workin just fine. Off to SC tomorrow to see bout buyin a new old 65 C10 so, they'll keepa rustin for at least 18 more hours on the bench....first boil maybe tomorrow night.

Into the hot water after the first rust cycle. All the parts nice red brown rusty ready to start becomeing grey and grey black then black...

i.imgur.com_zWsV6tv.jpg

i.imgur.com_u0Ht11y.jpg

Lots of fluffly black to remove after the first boil. Grey and grey black underneath...these are comeing along quickly...

i.imgur.com_qAQUsv6.jpg

A third rust cycle, parts thinly coated with pilkingtons and returned to the hot iron boiling pot with a cup of hot water to raise the humidity....pan does double duty as boilerblackener and damp box on these less than humid days.

i.imgur.com_EljLicf.jpg

Old parts nicely blackened....about 5 rust boil card cycles....old steel works faster since there is no chrome or nickle to make the steel stain/rust resistant.

i.imgur.com_nqLy2oS.jpg

Buttplate installed with a simple coat of johnsons paste wax to seal the metal finish.

i.imgur.com_sb0AMYa.jpg

Looks pretty good...satiny just like the wood finish....and it dosn't look gaudy sportin gal new either...it shouldn't, its 100.

i.imgur.com_bGwMbtn.jpg

No grit...corse wire brush on a drill press at 3000 rpm. Barrel is initially sanded at 100g but needs derusted first to clear the pits...otherwise black barrel with red polkadots all over.

Thx. waitin for temp and humidity to come up. This time last year it was 75/75. Right now its 55/30. Soon as the temps/humidiy hit a consistent 50/50 I plan to strip the barrel and frame and get it rust blued. Its high time this one was done and sold.

Back
Top Bottom