• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Next projects are on deck for

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
for examination and determination of which direction they will go.

Up top is a 1915 Stevens Favorite, .22 LR Boys Rifle. Pretty good shape for nearly 100. Action is reasonably tight and functions. Tangs are slightly bent and hopefully they will reshape w/o breakage but its cast iron, we shall see. Heat in indicated in any event. Stocks are gone, not much good except for patterns. I have some nice walnut handy in the form of custom Mauser stocks that won't be used due to cracks and breaks forward of the wrist so I have some close measurements to do and see if a new buttstock and matching forend can be carved from this excess wood. One is very well figured Cali walnut....cross yer fingers. For now, I gotta scrub the bore and determine if its a shooter as is or if it needs a new barrel....some elbow grease and a bit of bench time will tell the tale. The future for this one, if sound, is a total restoration to shooter/hunter condition.

Down below, an 1893 Mauser bolt action and its rather poorly executed 1960s style stock. The action looks good, might need a fireing pin, we'll see, looks a bit short but it is possible to fix that as needed w/o welding up a new tip. Action is already drilled and tapped for scope and appears to be straight and even, lets hope it is, otherwise, that'll need fixed too or custom scope mounts. The bolt handle is well executed, appears professionally installed, and it already has the Dayton/Traister 70 degree scope friendly safety on the shroud. This is a Spanish Mauser and comes with the left side gas vent (which was pretty much absent on most any other mauser than the 93). Further examination should determine this is a fine action for a custom rifle and I think it'll be classic 7x57 Mauser caliber when finished. I plan to use a Richards Microfit blank, probably the American Classic style and a 21" barrel for a light handy rifle that can range to 250m with ease. Unfortunatly, the stock is poorly executed (and pretty much late 60s early 70s square forend and rather clublike overall- the thick clubby shape remeinds me very much of the factory Savage rifle stocks.) with gapped (undersize) maple inlays and heavily oversanded at the heel of the wrist and over the top of the MontiCarlo cheek piece. In addition, the stock was split thru the wrist at one time with a glue but no pin repair. Unfortunate because this stock could have been plained down to a slimmer style. It has pretty nice grain but with the damage, it'll probably serve only as a source of forends or pistol grip/knife grip blanks.

In the meantime, I need to make up my supplies list, complete planning the repair journies for both and offload a couple custom made tables that havn't sold yet and start gatherin supplies. I spect I'll get started on these in spades near mid Feb after the gun cabinet is completed and the Bat Cave thoroughly cleaned and dusted.

i.imgur.com_SMCDcyT.jpg

i.imgur.com_VdJS0s2.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
Well now...gettin excited....plenty good rifleing right out to the muzzle. No rust in the chamber. Some pitting in the bore but I've had much worse shoot just fine. Patches don't grab or get shredded so some PB blaster and an oversize bronze brush wrapped in 0000 steel wool and its not so dark in there anymore. It might just be a shooter barrel. If so, that'll make me really happy, keeps more of the originality on this old Stevens. Might need a crown, but first step is to dig out the bullet trap and test it out one night this week in teh yard...another night, one of them 70 degree nights that are predicted for early this week.

i.imgur.com_sflEkDJ.jpg

i.imgur.com_MNdQ3ZC.jpg

Fortunatly, rooting around in my stuff boxes turned up an original Stevens Favorite rear sight leaf in good condition. These are the ones with the lil tiny v-notch in em. Well, they was made for lil kids vision, they don't usually have to wear bifocals. But in good light, I can still see it well enough to get an idea if the barrel is good enough to go. Also rounded up a reproduction Favorite Elevator to match the sight...banged em in and I'll report back (hopefully this week) on the suitability of the barrel.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
That old Mauser is just begging to be a 6.5X55 Swede sporter!

I just happen to have a 6.5X55 reamer that I bought for my own 6.5X55 project on a Win Model 70 that I have been working on.

Sorry Nate,

First that Stevens .22 needs a color case hardend receiver and a rust blue barrel. Some nicely figured walnut with a satin finish would make that rifle sing.

Then on to the bolt gun.

More good news on the Stevens Favorite. Guts are basically good.

i.imgur.com_JD2hDRb.jpg

Here arranged in shooting position...at this position, cartridge is fired. Lower the lever and the triangle between lever and breech kicks the hammer back to half cock. Simultaneously, the extractor/ejector cams over the breech screw and kicks the spent shell free.

Critical to these actions are the two pins that connect the breech, to triangle to lever. The design is such that when the lever is closed, the pins and their associated parts are slightly bound by being cammed just over center. These pins are serviceable but loose. I'll replace them for a better fit. Note, everything but the pins and screws is cast iron (frame) or case hardened steel (guts). Gentle work is indicated. Trigger jobs are destructive unless the parts are rehardened. These are fine, and safe in function...no need for molesting the case hardened skin on the parts.

i.imgur.com_HFJ1xER.jpg

The extractor face is a bit battered...but it may be salvageable. If not I'll make an extractor (non spring loaded) by hand from cold rolled steel and case harden it after cutting the lip with a chambering reamer....If at all possilble I'll save this extractor first. But I've made dozens of extractors for these old fellas and they all are still in service years later with nairy a complaint.

i.imgur.com_CUsOHEz.jpg

Other than that, there is one screw which is a bit worn. I will either have to make a new screw or retap and/or bush and tap the corresponding hole in the frame.

After that, and if it shoots well as is, this will be primarily a cosmetic restoration.

That old Mauser is just begging to be a 6.5X55 Swede sporter!

I just happen to have a 6.5X55 reamer that I bought for my own 6.5X55 project on a Win Model 70 that I have been working on.

I thought about 6.5 but its a dieing caliber in terms of selling or trading the mauser later. 7x57 is more common and accepted. Besides, I own a 7x57 so no new ammo/brass to buy with its ready for the first shots.

- - - Updated - - -

Receiver will be done in faux color with bakeing laquer topcoat. Barrel, if serviceable enough to be accurate at 25m will be rust blue.

Well its nice to see another stevens fan,
I am in the midst of a stevens custom build myself, converting from 22LR to 17 Mach2
The reciever flats have been milled "even" just need to square that face. I was going to go with case coloring, then deciding it would be a shooter and have burled maple wood, So I have opted for high polish rust blue on ALL flats, hammer, breech, block, receiver,trigger, and lever. everything else will be beadblasted to give it a mat blue finnish. I have the barrel on order, the reciver mics out at around .968 +/- and this is the diameter of the octagon the barrel I ordered with a length of 20" and a recessed 11* target crown (20" inches is right on the fine line on getting everybit of umph from the .17 mach2). I have some beutiful burled maple for the stock and forearm. Will model the stock after the Stevens shotgun stock and add 2" to LOP, the forearm will be around 2"-2 1/2" oval and be 12"-16" long.
When the barrel gets in I will have a machinist friend make me a custom scope ring mounting set, the set will be a split style and slide over the barrel and tighten with a screw, the top of the ring will be milled to accept weaver style rings, this will keep the gun clean with no dove tail cuts for sights.

The next project is a Remington 32RF rolling block to 22MAG reciever is out getting machined right now.

Back
Top Bottom