• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Next projects are on deck for

Looks more like a proper and complete action now with the lever in place. Same process, install a new cross pin in the lower lever link hole and stake both sides lightly. Then, after some RIG Grease on the parts, install it in the frame with the extractor. If ya never fiddled the screws into place on an Old Favorite with the plunger extractor, yer in for a treat, specially with old threads and new blue...but its in and scratch free and all the tender threads in fine shape.

i.imgur.com_Gk15TO1.jpg

Ya can just see the little chip at the toe of the tang that popped up a bit while sittin and waitin for the metal to be done. Occupational hazard with old or highly figured wood. Sometimes they dont' show a flaw till ya got em done. But its tight and I'll leave it alone.

i.imgur.com_2NFfEIV.jpg

From the right side

i.imgur.com_0NgeK2P.jpg

And then with the action open...

i.imgur.com_nSTdalE.jpg

Time to get some propane, a turkey fryer burner, a black iron tank and some water...got a barrel needs rustin.

Cool beans. Decided to sell this one and the mauser 93 action and move on to my Allen Boxlock Muzzleloader project instead. Granddaughters coopted my Wolf 50 so now I need a hunting smokepole for long ranges.

Does that mean won't be seeing the barrel and finished product? I am just an amateur with a hobby but you make it seem so easy lol. And you do awesome work!!!

Well, I won't be doing a 93 project I think. My heart aint in a 93. Would prefer a 98 or a Rem 700 or Lever action. So for now, Think I'll move out the Mauser and the Favorite when done and set myself up by building and blue/browning an Allen Boxlock smokepole with scope.

Propane, turkey fryer and a black iron tank fulla water....Barrel had its first rust after cleaning it up. So, now to start the blackening process.

i.imgur.com_I72B0Du.jpg

After the first boil, plenty of black fluff to scrub off...there won't be much black underneath this first go.

i.imgur.com_nHdzjBo.jpg

Mostly a bit of translucent grey after beginning carding with 0000 steel wool.

i.imgur.com_Dil3Jbf.jpg

After the second rusting and boil, a bit more black..deeper, less translucent. Even though and I can proceed with some confidence it'll blacken nicely over the next 4 or so rust and boil cycles.

i.imgur.com_RRppnnk.jpg

Back
Top Bottom