• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need trout fishing advice

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I live by the Chattahoochee in Roswell and don't have a boat or anything like that. I would like to go out and catch some trout, but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to trout fishing. I would like some advice on what lures to use, how to use them, where/when to fish, etc. Please do not suggest fly fishing as I have no intentions of trying to figure out how to do that. Also, I don't eat fish very often, so I'm not concerned with whether or not it is safe to eat them.

It's very simple. Go buy a few of these http://rapalaworld.com/products/original-floater. Get the smallest sizes they have (F03 or F05) ideally in the brown trout color. Since you aren't going to eat them, use pliers to mash down the barbs on the hooks to reduce the chance of killing the fish (and facilitate getting them unhooked). Also buy a few of these http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...LA_011181922&gclid=CJmE8t2d7bwCFVRo7AodrU4AVw again, smaller, in whatever color strikes your fancy. Same thing on the hooks.
Use light line ideally on an ultra light rig.
Have fun.

I live up here in trout country and have caught my faire share over the years. I always tell people "If you want to fish for trout, nothing beats fly fishing!" ..."But if you want to CATCH trout, nothing beats a can of worms, a small hook and a sinker."

I lived on the Chattahochee for 30 years and can tell you I kept a boat on my dock all that time. I lost count at 6,000 fish and ate them regularly. Worms are great on bottom with hailf to one onuce weight and patience.The back of any rock may produce a bite. Corn and trout bait are good also. I tried to catch a record all those years but was stunned when a first timer caught and broke the record with an 18.6 pound brown at around Jones bridge. I think his name was Charley Floyd. Anyway, for lures use Repala black and gold and black and silver. Also use Yazuri siler and blue #6 as that was the lure that caught the record fish. Good luck!! Jeff Yates

Go to wally world and get you a few of these, They are called Panther Martin's. Get around 1/4 oz. I smaller streams I use 1/8. I wouldn't use any heavier than 6 pound test line. Look for good current trout like the moving water. Another option is corn on a small hook with a few split shots. Have fun and enjoy!
www.panthermartin.com_img_Medium_PMR_GY.jpg

I live up here in trout country and have caught my faire share over the years. I always tell people "If you want to fish for trout, nothing beats fly fishing!" ..."But if you want to CATCH trout, nothing beats a can of worms, a small hook and a sinker."

If you want to CATCH trout^^^^^^This worms and/or a can of corn.
Just toss it out perpendicular to the current and keep the line tight as it drifts down.
Make sure you have plenty of hooks and sinkers on hand because snags will be encountered. I like to use a bait holder hook with as much bait on the hook as I can get on there.

Is corn legal? I used to catch trout on corn in the creek out in front of my grandparent's house in North Carolina when I was kid...but was told it was illegal. Never thought to look it up. One of those things I guess ya hear and never question? Salmon eggs work too. I sometimes put a salmon egg with a worm and have had good results. Up here, there are plenty of good fishing holes/trout streams. But I get consistent "eating size" trout and rarely miss the limit fishing from a canoe in the Toccoa River.

OK here it is......Gold hook #6,press on sinker and a cricket.Trout will swim by anything else to eat a cricket.If you can find #6 light wire hooks all the better.A big fish will straighten the hook but hatchery fish will be in the cooler

Back
Top Bottom