• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help deciding(UPDATE 2/28 RANGE REPORT)-KINDA

In for answers.
I'm not in the market myself, but a good friend of mine says he is he wants to get a military spec 1911 (like his dad carried in World War II) but doesn't want to pay the money to get one from the CMP, or another real military G.I. pistol.
Nor does he want to spend the money for a modern Colt.
I suggested the Tisas made in Turkey, but I really don't know much about it.

I do know that he's willing to put up with out-of-date features like crude small sights, standard size ejection port, non-beveled magazine well, etc. he wants the authentic 1940s G.I. pistol look, even after I explain to him that modern features on a 1911 gun can make it far more practical and enjoyable to take to the range.

In for answers.
I'm not in the market myself, but a good friend of mine says he is he wants to get a military spec 1911 (like his dad carried in World War II) but doesn't want to pay the money to get one from the CMP, or another real military G.I. pistol.

I do know that he's willing to put up with out-of-date features like crude small sights, standard size ejection port, non-beveled magazine well, etc. he wants the authentic 1940s G.I. pistol look, even after I explain to him that modern features on a 1911 gun can make it far more practical and enjoyable to take to the range.
That's exactly the reason I'm looking at a mil spec 1911. I want it to be as close to the WW2 version as I can get

In for answers.

The Tisas has a lowered ejection port, not the USGI standard port.

What makes the most difference is what mags you use. USGI mags work best with 230 gr ball ammo. Not so well with HP or wadcutter ammo.

Wilsons use wadcutter lips and work well with most everything, but not as well with ball ammo as USGI lips do.

Hybrid lips (half way between the 2 styles) are a compromise between the 2 and are what Colts have been supplied with for 30 years.

Before you condemn a 1911 for not running, try a different style mag or ammo. Not sure what kind of mags come with the Tisas, probably the wadcutter as it is the most popular now.

And lube the gun, it makes a difference

What makes the most difference is what mags you use. USGI mags work best with 230 gr ball ammo. Not so well with HP or wadcutter ammo.

Wilsons use wadcutter lips and work well with most everything, but not as well with ball ammo as USGI lips do.

Hybrid lips (half way between the 2 styles) are a compromise between the 2 and are what Colts have been supplied with for 30 years.

Before you condemn a 1911 for not running, try a different style mag or ammo. Not sure what kind of mags come with the Tisas, probably the wadcutter as it is the most popular now.

And lube the gun, it makes a difference
Thanks for the reply jeep78.
I'm familiar with using, shooting and taking care of a 1911, got 3 already just not a mil spec type replica.

I appreciate your thoughts and insight about them, keep em coming if you yjink of anything else
Putnambuck

Yep, didn't have the rust issue? I owned a Tisas, but it was a Commander, in 9mm. I liked the gun, it operated proficiently and I pretty much liked the product, but then ended up in a Dan Wesson 1911 so it wasn't needed. I personally have nothing against guns made in Turkey or the Phillipines. As long as they work. I also owned a Rock Island Arsenal in .38 Super and while the gun was excellent, the magazine that shipped with it was crap. I threw that magazine away, after taking a hammer to it, so nobody would try to use it. Every other magazine I owned in .38 Super worked in that pistol. The ONLY one that wouldn't, was the one the manufacturer built and included with that gun??

Also, as pointed out, way back when, before some of the recent imports, there was Auto Ordnance (never owned one) and Springfield Armory. I love my SA pistols. Great builds.

Back
Top Bottom