• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some help deciding(UPDATE 2/28 RANGE REPORT)-KINDA

If you can go outside of your milspec requirement I also vote Taurus. Mine has been great. And - it comes with front strap checkering from the factory. The trigger is pretty nice too for what you pay. Definitely high in the value department - you get a lot for not a lot of money.

If you can go outside of your milspec requirement I also vote Taurus. Mine has been great. And - it comes with front strap checkering from the factory. The trigger is pretty nice too for what you pay. Definitely high in the value department - you get a lot for not a lot of money.
Thanks Hayata, One of the 1911's I have now is a Taurus & I like it a lot. What I'm basically looking for is a mil spec 1911 only, np beavertail or rail or fancy this or that. Just a plain GI model fairly cheap. My dad was in WWII and I remember him talking about his 1911. He's been gone a pretty long time,1995, and his gun was stolen years ago when he got home from the war but I'd like to get one and put in the case with his casket flag to put on display.....maybe shoot it on his birthday.

Thanks Hayata, One of the 1911's I have now is a Taurus & I like it a lot. What I'm basically looking for is a mil spec 1911 only, np beavertail or rail or fancy this or that. Just a plain GI model fairly cheap. My dad was in WWII and I remember him talking about his 1911. He's been gone a pretty long time,1995, and his gun was stolen years ago when he got home from the war but I'd like to get one and put in the case with his casket flag to put on display.....maybe shoot it on his birthday.

If it's something that you plan to display and only shoot it once a year, save up and get yourself a genuine military 1911. You'll have a better appreciation every time you look at it or take it out to shoot.

If anything the pistol will only go up in value so it's a win/win if your forced to sell it later in life. Think of it as a 401k that you can enjoy.

If it's something that you plan to display and only shoot it once a year, save up and get yourself a genuine military 1911. You'll have a better appreciation every time you look at it or take it out to shoot.

If anything the pistol will only go up in value so it's a win/win if your forced to sell it later in life. Think of it as a 401k that you can enjoy.
Thanks for the reply Tikker. I probably won't spend that much or wait for a genuine military 1911. I think a close replica would be fine for what I want to do. I said I'd shoot it once a year but I know me too.......I won't be able to shoot it just once a year, I like to shoot too much. I don't have a gun I don't shoot. I'm not a "collector", I just like my guns & like to sling lead a lot, like nearly every day I shoot something.
Thanks for your advise though.

If your serious look for a Norinco 1911a. Solid platform and built to colt specs. Parts are interchangeable some spec builders use them as custom base. Usually run in your price range. After that I would go with a colt 70 or 80 but price jumps

I don’t know if this would matter to you, and maybe you’ve thought about it already and it’s not a factor for you, but, if it were me and I were doing this and mostly basing it off of symbolism of respect and gratitude and as a display piece along with your fathers flag honoring his service, I wouldn’t put an Italian gun in there with it. Based on principle. I have absolutely NOTHING against Italian hardware, but being as it is a tribute to a WW2 veteran, I wouldn’t put a gun in the display that was made in an “axis country”. Not sure what theater your father fought in, but out of your listed options I’d go with a Turkish gun over the Italian gun. Again, just based on symbolism. The Italian gun may very well be the better gun, I have no idea honestly. I’d try my best to save up for an American made 1911.
anyway just a thought.

I don’t know if this would matter to you, and maybe you’ve thought about it already and it’s not a factor for you, but, if it were me and I were doing this and mostly basing it off of symbolism of respect and gratitude and as a display piece along with your fathers flag honoring his service, I wouldn’t put an Italian gun in there with it. Based on principle. I have absolutely NOTHING against Italian hardware, but being as it is a tribute to a WW2 veteran, I wouldn’t put a gun in the display that was made in an “axis country”. Not sure what theater your father fought in, but out of your listed options I’d go with a Turkish gun over the Italian gun. Again, just based on symbolism. The Italian gun may very well be the better gun, I have no idea honestly. I’d try my best to save up for an American made 1911.
anyway just a thought.
If you want to go for symbolism, I would get the Rock Island. One of the drives behind the design of the 45ACP was a search for a cartridge with increased stopping power to stop the Moro's in the Philippines, when it used to be a U.S. possession.

Back
Top Bottom