Need Help From Corvette C5 owners

moosensquirrel

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
I recently sold a Ferrari 308 for a number of reasons, one of which was that I no longer enjoyed doing my own maintenance and repairs. Living 15 miles south of Jesup, GA, the nearest Ferrari dealer was Atlanta, 250 miles away.

Notwithstanding a Corvette never even finished a major race such as Le Mans, until the early 90's, today's Corvettes are a different story.

The nearest Chevy dealer is only 18 miles away and they should be able to handle any maintenance or repairs. I can also get into and out of it without a shoehorn.

The one I like is the C5, 1997-2004) based entirely on looks. I have seen them for as little as $15k with relatively low miles, and therefor would have little a risk every time I took it out.

The only one I ever rode in had the subtle smell of gasoline in it, and the fuel gauge did not work.

I would like to hear from some C5 owners regarding their experience and what I should be looking for as problem areas, before I buy into one.

I don't own one but my dad did. Honestly one of my favorite gen Corvettes. The LSx engines are some of the most reliable and easy/cheap to mod of any engine out there. There's a huge aftermarket for them. You can make them stupid fast for cheap. From a maintenance standpoint they aren't hard to work on, and much cheaper than a Ferrari. Just the normal wear and tear stuff if you take care of them. I can't think of anything major my dad ever had on his. And I helped him work on it when needed.

First, join and peruse https://forums.corvetteforum.com
The C5 is a good value, especially the Z06. The LS series of engines are all but bullet proof, but just like any 20 year old car, gremlins can pop up.
A friend of mine tracks his and he's had to do extensive work on the transaxle. It seems to be the weak link when the car is pushed to the limits. If you're going to use it as a cruiser or even a daily, I doubt you'll see any issues.
If you take a look at one, operate ALL electronics and make sure they work. Radio, climate control, seat controls, every single button. If you look at a coupe, inspect the removable top and ask the owner if he experienced de-lamination or even the flying roof club.

There's a beautiful C5 at a small dealer here in town. White with a tan convertible top. I'll take a pic of it when I go by. I don't know the price, but it sure stands out in the lot.

Back
Top Bottom