• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help From Corvette C5 owners

First, join and peruse https://forums.corvetteforum.com
The C5 is a good value, especially the Z06. The LS series of engines are all but bullet proof, but just like any 20 year old car, gremlins can pop up.
A friend of mine tracks his and he's had to do extensive work on the transaxle. It seems to be the weak link when the car is pushed to the limits. If you're going to use it as a cruiser or even a daily, I doubt you'll see any issues.
If you take a look at one, operate ALL electronics and make sure they work. Radio, climate control, seat controls, every single button. If you look at a coupe, inspect the removable top and ask the owner if he experienced de-lamination or even the flying roof club.
Many thanks: I pulled up this page from the forum and it was very helpful. I will dig into it more later.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...nd-also-some-technical-information-files.html

Coworker had a C-5 and now has a C-6. He said it is a huge upgrade across the board as far as being a better driving car. He had some intermittent electronic gremlins with his C-5 that took then dealer 3 tries to fix

The car will be a cruiser/run-errand vehicle for me. My everyday driver now is a 2004 F250 diesel. It has the turning radius of a school bus. I am looking for a little more enjoyment while driving.
Coworker had a C-5 and now has a C-6. He said it is a huge upgrade across the board as far as being a better driving car. He had some intermittent electronic gremlins with his C-5 that took then dealer 3 tries to fix
I am going to look at one if one pops up within striking distance.

Thanks again

Ive had 3 C5's. Two 04' C5Z06's and 1 99' FRC. I went over to a C6 Z06 with a built LS7 and went back to the C5 Z06 platform. I run lots of boost, built motor and standalone ECU's. If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to talk with you.

Not positive what that is, but it sounds undesirable.
So, the C5 switched to latches to hold the removable roof on. The system worked fine, except the owners would lay the top on their car and forget to latch it. Somewhere around 45-50 MPH, aerodynamics would take over, create a low pressure across the top and WOOSH! It would fly straight up and soar like a wing. Most times it would actually land smoothly and skate along the road for 20 yards or so giving it a nice grooved look in the paint!

So, the C5 switched to latches to hold the removable roof on. The system worked fine, except the owners would lay the top on their car and forget to latch it. Somewhere around 45-50 MPH, aerodynamics would take over, create a low pressure across the top and WOOSH! It would fly straight up and soar like a wing. Most times it would actually land smoothly and skate along the road for 20 yards or so giving it a nice grooved look in the paint!
Definition of 'user error'. And like most, I bet fun to watch.

never owned one but drove a couple and they were fun. Biggest thing i'd keep in mind is C5's are going kinda like miatas and e30 BMW's and are becoming one of the more preferred track cars becuase of how cheap you can get one and with the mods you can do. So any c5 i'd go over pretty hard to make sure it hasnt been someones track toy.

Back
Top Bottom