• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need Help From Corvette C5 owners

can a properly tuned (de tuned) stock corvette engine be run on regular gasoline?
Yes. The computer is able to pull timing in the event there is even the slightest hint of ping or knock. You can have it tuned to the lower octane but really, what's the point? In 98% of your driving, the car is operating in closed loop conservative mode, well away from the edge of the performance envelope. The only time you really risk damaging the internals is when you go WOT. The computer changes to a different fuel/air/timing mapping for peak performance. That's where you can get into trouble if you pre-detonate the mixture. Even then, the computer is monitoring the knock sensor to guard against that (unless the car is tuned and the sensor is taken out of the equation).

So, stock: Don't bother with tuning for 87 octane. The car will be fine, though it won't be able to perform at 100% compared to running 92.
For that Z06 that was mentioned, I wouldn't run anything but 92!! Why risk it?

Yes. The computer is able to pull timing in the event there is even the slightest hint of ping or knock. You can have it tuned to the lower octane but really, what's the point? In 98% of your driving, the car is operating in closed loop conservative mode, well away from the edge of the performance envelope. The only time you really risk damaging the internals is when you go WOT. The computer changes to a different fuel/air/timing mapping for peak performance. That's where you can get into trouble if you pre-detonate the mixture. Even then, the computer is monitoring the knock sensor to guard against that (unless the car is tuned and the sensor is taken out of the equation).

So, stock: Don't bother with tuning for 87 octane. The car will be fine, though it won't be able to perform at 100% compared to running 92.
For that Z06 that was mentioned, I wouldn't run anything but 92!! Why risk it?
Thanks, I only asked because I keep a 500 gallon tank of 87oct rated gasoline here on the farm for my Father's and wife's cars, and lawnmowers and chainsaws, etc. Ironically, the Ferrari 308gtb-Vet. owners manual says "We recommend Shell regular straight from the pump"

Thanks, I only asked because I keep a 500 gallon tank of 87oct rated gasoline here on the farm for my Father's and wife's cars, and lawnmowers and chainsaws, etc. Ironically, the Ferrari 308gtb-Vet. owners manual says "We recommend Shell regular straight from the pump"
Yeah, my first thought was that must be a pretty low compression ratio. I then went and looked it up. Sure enough, 8.8:1!!!
For reference, my LT5 is 12.2:1 right now. There's NO way I'd run 87 in it!!

How about this one: Only thing I do not like are the dogpecker-red seats

00E0E_6L3v5r3VkDlz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

https://hiltonhead.craigslist.org/cto/d/bluffton-2003-corvette-for-sale/7258265101.html

Back
Top Bottom