• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My first SBR build.

...I thought an SBR in a pistol caliber would be ideal for having a little fun with a can at shorter distances.
I'm just looking for PROs and CONs of each. Post those first, then you can have the thread to run 18 pages of argument about why each other are wrong then shift completely to the ambiguously gay banter.

I agree that an SBR 9mm carbine that is basically something like an AR configuration is fun.
I've seen a lot of 9mm suppressors used on pistols and carbines. Mostly with normal (supersonic) ammo, and they're fun. Fairly quiet. Big improvement over unsupressed.
With 147 grain subsonic ammo, they've very quiet. But the ammo is harder to find and a little more expensive than other new commercial FMJ range ammo.

I see that Rock River Arms has an AR carbine called the LAR-9. The barrel comes factory threaded at 1/2" diameter and 36 turns per inch.

I myself would seriously consider the Just Right Carbine or J.R. Carbine. A lot less expensive, and has a similar feel to an AR. It's got a 1/2" x 28 t.p.i. thread. That's normally what AR's that come in .223 / 5.56mm would use, so you have a lot of options as to muzzle accessories other than the can, BUT you'd have to bore them out to allow your 9mm bullets to pass through.

The Beretta CX4 carbine doesn't come with a threaded barrel, so I'd cross that off the list. Why pay extra for gunsmith work or a different barrel when other models come threaded from the factory?

I agree that an SBR 9mm carbine that is basically something like an AR configuration is fun.
I've seen a lot of 9mm suppressors used on pistols and carbines. Mostly with normal (supersonic) ammo, and they're fun. Fairly quiet. Big improvement over unsupressed.
With 147 grain subsonic ammo, they've very quiet. But the ammo is harder to find and a little more expensive than other new commercial FMJ range ammo.

I see that Rock River Arms has an AR carbine called the LAR-9. The barrel comes factory threaded at 1/2" diameter and 36 turns per inch.

I myself would seriously consider the Just Right Carbine or J.R. Carbine. A lot less expensive, and has a similar feel to an AR. It's got a 1/2" x 28 t.p.i. thread. That's normally what AR's that come in .223 / 5.56mm would use, so you have a lot of options as to muzzle accessories other than the can, BUT you'd have to bore them out to allow your 9mm bullets to pass through.

The Beretta CX4 carbine doesn't come with a threaded barrel, so I'd cross that off the list. Why pay extra for gunsmith work or a different barrel when other models come threaded from the factory?
I think you missed the beginning of the post about building his first sbr. I would def not make a J/R carbine or any of those others my first sbr. Also for building, an ar is the lego of adult males and lends to the whole "build it to suit". Also when the OP gets tired of his setup, its very easy to change things up.

This goes back to my original suggestion. Do a regular 556 lower and just buy a mag block for 9mm. Later one can make a dedicated 9mm sbr and then still have a built 556 sbr. Win win

I think you missed the beginning of the post about building his first sbr. I would def not make a J/R carbine or any of those others my first sbr. Also for building, an ar is the lego of adult males and lends to the whole "build it to suit". Also when the OP gets tired of his setup, its very easy to change things up.

This goes back to my original suggestion. Do a regular 556 lower and just buy a mag block for 9mm. Later one can make a dedicated 9mm sbr and then still have a built 556 sbr. Win win

I agree with this 100%.

I like the near infinite possibilities of a true colt-style 9mm AR vs. a system such as the "just right" carbine. Also, my 9mm setup has been 100% with all ammo that I've tried save for some Washougal River ammo which seemed to be underpowered (1 round out of 200 would FTE/FTF).

I enjoy building them too much to buy one off the shelf. This is one of those items that I probably wouldn't own if I didn't build it.

Exactly this. I'm not preparing to become a tactical zombie operator. It's like a grown man's Mr. Potato Head. I've kind of shifted from hotrods to guns as my primary hobby. Coming from that, it's real easy to go overboard due to the relatively low cost. That's why I'm looking for the experience here to steer me away from making some common mistake, or just not thinking things through before I blow a bunch of money and wish I had done it differently.

before I blow a bunch of money and wish I had done it differently.

O your def going to do this. I still do it. Build what you think you want then you'll see the new shiney. Its a terrible disease, often referred to as black rifle diseas

Based on the opinions/info here, I think I'll end up going with the Colt style QC10 lower. I'm really not worried about being able to change it to another caliber. If I decided to do that, I'd just build another one.

Back
Top Bottom