• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MP5 Clone, which is better?

I have an mke. It's a fantastic gun. It is on par with some the real hk mp5 that I have shot. It is finished well and solidly built. I have put only 200-250 rounds in it but 0 issues with feeding and reliability that seems to plague other copies in the past

DJ Getz, Dakota Tactical and Kelly enterprises are worth a look.

I was debating one of these as well but went with a USC/UMP conversion instead.
I work at the international section of the F-Ramp at the airport in Atlanta, and saw a APD officer walking around with a true UMP45 (surprised me they had them) and it got me thinking how much I wanted one of those as well. How much did the whole build/conversion end up costing you?

Zenith is made on old HK tooling. Not sure about the others.

Well, it's not "OLD" tooling, it's licensed tooling. I only correct this as the suggestion that it's old, kind of make a guy wonder if it's worn out. Turkey makes a contract copy, just like FN makes a contract M4.

I have a Z5RS. It couldn't be better. I seriously considered the AA89, but it's made by Todd Bailey's brother, and uses some Todd Bailey parts, which is NOT a good thing. Atlantic may cover it, but I decided on the contract gun from MKE over the Toad gun. If you don't know, google Todd Bailey and you'll get a taste of his past efforts.

My sights are straight, the gun is built solid, my Evo9 with triad mounts snug, the MKE mags are decent, but I picked up 10 HK mags for "cheap" on gunbroker (cheap as in under $30 each instead of $45-60 each). Since I was SBRing it, I put 1,000 rounds through it the first week to flesh out any issues. There were none. I had a couple FTF's when I tried running it wet. I put too much water in the can and it gunked up the action pretty quick. After cleaning up the mess I made, I have put another 700 rounds through it. I had one HK mag that wasn't feeding Hornady 147gr XTP's well, so I marked it. It runs fine with RMR 147gr triple plated subs.

buying points for the MKE over the AA89 for me were the spec CHF barrel over a stainless barrel, and the licensed MFG. The downside is, if you have or will get a sear, you'll spend a few hundred getting the MKE in a config that will let you use the sear*, whereas the AA89 is sear ready.

*The front pin hole in the grip frame would need a complete shelf in place before removing the FA bolt block in the receiver, and then a FA carrier would be needed.

Back
Top Bottom