• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MOTORCYCLE riding tips

Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared! I have averaged at least once every 500 miles or so of someone pulling out in front of me. Speed of an oncoming bike can't be judged by most drivers due to smaller mass of it.

Speaking from what is now experience...learn to use front brakes. 2 years into riding and first warm day in the spring out in the country I wasn't paying attention and came up quickly on stopped traffic. Freaked a little and locked up rear tires trying to stop. Made stupid decision to lay bike down, wife on back. $6k damage, some road rash and embarrassed as hell. Front brakes are first choice now with rear as backup.

Always cross railroad tracks with your bike and the track rails forming a 90 degree angle. This prevents your front tire from sliding on the steel rail and also prevents possibility of your tire from catching in a large gap between the rail and pavement.

At one time I read something the insurance companies put out and it went something like this;
If you're going to have an accident on a motorcycle it will be in the first 6 months. (So be real, real careful!)
If it doesn't happen in the first 6 months it will happen in the first year. (So be real careful.)
The good news is, if you don't have an accident in the first year the odds are in your favor of never having an accident ever.
(So ride careful any freakin way! (There are NO guarantees.... they're just odds in your favor!))

Last edited:
The horn on a motorcycle is worthless.
It will not fire a fazer like on Star Trek and make something magically disappear.
So forget about it and use that nanosecond to do something that will help.

The horn on a motorcycle is worthless.
It will not fire a fazer like on Star Trek and make something magically disappear.
So forget about it and use that nanosecond to do something that will help.
True, but my air horns I bet gave an oblivious driver or three something to think about when they were being dangerously boneheaded.

Back
Top Bottom