• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

MOTORCYCLE riding tips

brad sweet

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
146   0
Reaction score
for you guys that have been riding awhile and beginners, this may be a refresher course and feel free to add to the list
Always stay to one side of the lane or the other: reason; oil and anti freeze fall in the center of the road you don't want that on those tires.
when riding in traffic ride where you can see the mirrors(side view) if you can see them inside the car they can see you.
when approaching someone turning left or right from a parking lot have your finger on the horn and be ready for evasive maneuvers if you see that front tire move an inch.
when riding in a group ride stagger formation you don't want the other guy hitting you if you have to stop quickly.
when riding a passenger have at least 40 psi in your tires this prevents unnecessary wear on tires.
always wear a helmet and eye glasses..june bug in your eye not good.
always wear enough cloths that will be your second skin if you come off the bike...leather preferred.
always carry tools you may need them or someone in your group will at the most opportune time.
always fill your tank to the top and know your gas mileage and monitor at each stop.
know how to make a quick stop using front/rear brake at the same time always bias the rear to prevent lock up.
do the above in the rain in a parking lot with no cars just in case you fail.
NEVER ASSUME THAT THE DRIVER IN THE CAR CAN SEE YOU>>THEY NEVER DO flash lights honk horn rev motor.
revving motor when approaching car drivers blind spot gets attention with out freaking them out .
Get out of blind spot as quick as possible they cannot see you.
Go to a parking lot and practice scrapping the pegs get used to the angle and the noise.when in a corner never panic.
ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS.
NEVER GET TO COMFORTABLE ON A BIKE

Don't hit your front brakes hard when turning, slow down before the turn then maintain speed or roll on the gas going through the turn. Hitting the front brakes when turning causes the front end to dive and can make you low side.

Last edited:
When approaching a stopped car or a light, stop to the side of the car in front of you. Saves you from being squished, already saved my neck 7 months ago when i got creamed from behind at a light.

Read "Proficient Motorcycling"

Pretty good book for learning to ride.

Since back in '07 I had never ridden a streetbike I was very apprehensive as I was going to be riding everyday (& did for over a year, avg. of 1k miles per week) I bought this book & studied it cover to cover.

Agreed.... very good book. Probably saved me from disaster.

Keep it in gear at a red light so you can get out of the way quick if someone doesn't see you or the red light. Watch your 6 when stopped for a left turn and be ready to take off if someone behind you isn't going to stop in time or never sees you.

I had a neighbor down the street who was rear ended by a illegal with no insurance. Neighbor was stopped to make a left turn on the way to work early AM and illegal said he never saw the bike. Killed him almost instantly.

Back
Top Bottom