• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Moments after an EMP

I read part of the article and I found it interesting that it said you would have to share food with your neighbors. ..... or be willing to defend all of your resources.

That's funny right there. Around here the "sharing" would commence after a scene somewhat like this:

wwz.jpg

First thing would be to fill the Aqua pod kit in the bathtub while the water pressure was still high & 5 gallon jugs if the water is still running after that. Next thing would be to go to the store and grab as much first aid supplies and food as I can, and make as many trips as I can before the mass public freaks out. If i'm at work the wife will handle the water & I'll make the journey home while stopping for a few supplies that I can carry.

I have supplies, but more is always better. Plus the cash I have on hand would only go so far as time went on so it'll be better to spend it on things before the cost goes up or before people understand the situation. But after that I don't plan to leave the house for the next few weeks if I can help it.

There would be quite a "herd thinning" if an EMP ever happens. A lot of people wouldn't be able to handle it and off themselves. Then there are the ones who were not prepared at all and die from lack of water/ food or some marauding thugs. Then there are the marauding thugs who maraud the guy/group that was prepared. Silver lining in the cloud.

Funny how there is all this talk about what someone "thinks will happen" when an EMP hits.

You can have a plan. Anyone who has ever had a job managing projects or people or military knows that the plan is hugely important, but it will all change. No one "knows" what will happen.

Also funny that when I start a thread with the military manual on protection from EMP that no one is really interested.

Lots of people talking about "what will happen" instead of trying to get ready for it....

You are presuming that its new information. Its not. EMP effects (and countermeasures) and the effects of a civil breakdown are well worn back to the 50s when the threat of it was new and much more likely.

You are presuming others don't have a plan. They just don't want to talk about it in specifics because... its the internets. Most likely its is rolled up into most people's general preppieness. EMP is just one threat amongst many after all.

You are presuming that its new information. Its not. EMP effects (and countermeasures) and the effects of a civil breakdown are well worn back to the 50s when the threat of it was new and much more likely.

You are presuming others don't have a plan. They just don't want to talk about it in specifics because... its the internets. Most likely its is rolled up into most people's general preppieness. EMP is just one threat amongst many after all.

no i'm not doing any of that. thanks though.

alot of that information, especially hardening buildings against EMP, is not known back to the 50's.
more likely back then? congress says its a massive threat. so do countless experts. state why, other than your opinion, it isnt as likely now.

I am not presuming anything. I am observing.
When people say things like
"first thing thats going to happen is...." or "what really is gonna happen is..." I have to stop and remind myself that no one knows what is going to happen. We have to fpcus on being prepared, trained, mobile, and agile. NOT "knowing exactly what is going to happen" THAT is my opinion. I would be happy to debate/argue it any time.

I dont need to know everybody's plans. I dont want everyone to share their plan. I do wish more people, (a very broad statement, meaning the population as a whole) would make preparedness more of a lifestyle.

I am in the "no one knows what is going to happen" camp and believe that you can never be too prepared. I also know that I am not nearly prepared enough. There are so many possibilities when it comes to threats to our way of life that it is tough to comprehend and I think it is easier for most people to stick their heads in the sand. Most of the people I know are sadly content with their heads in the sand and I've even heard some adopt the, "If it's going to be that bad I'd rather be dead anyway" mentality which baffles the $--t out of me. I also think quite a bit about the "perfect storm" type scenarios of multiple smaller scale catastrophes that could happen concurrently - financial instability, natural disaster, isolated terrorist attacks, etc. - could add up to major problems. The EMP threat is real and definitely not to be taken lightly in my opinion. I like old carbureted vehicles, manual tools and multiple options on where to "bug out".

when people get to talking with me about prepping and they are thinking about stating themselves, I explain it this way:

During the great depression 7 MILLION Americans died due to malnutrition, according to university studies.
During the great depression, 90% of the population were in the country, on farms, self sufficient by most measures.
Today, only 5% of the population is in farming or self sufficient.

Imagine what would happen.

That normally gets the point home. I get how people can write it off with the "I'd rather be dead." Its easier to say that. But I fond most of those people don't have kids. The people that made it through the depression were often times just trying to provide for their children. I believe an EMP, HEMP, CME, etc situation would be quite similar in that regard. I opine that being prepared with training, skills, tools, food, water, medial supplied and shelter give us a massive chance at survival.

Having enough to share/barter/employ people, could save entire communities and make your family wealthy for generations.

Back
Top Bottom