• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Metal detecting finds

I used to get a treasure hunting magazine and really enjoyed reading about finds at old farm houses and such. Does anyone have a favorite magazine?

I have a white spectrum XLT with a black and white lcd screen. It's old and I think it works well but seems to beep on every little piece of trash. Never have been able to change the settings or learn the tricks to it.
Found a bunch of pull tabs and a few coins and a bullet casing.

I have learned to go after the solid beeps or hits...if it's a weaker beep and kind of scattered and seems to change position, I've learned to skip the dig.

That was one reason I enjoyed the magazine, it gave ideas and suggestions of locations that were likely to be more fruitful. Some were obvious and others were more elusive.

Does a “pin pointer” wand really help?
It does and it doesn't. Depending on the kind of detecting you're doing. I'm mostly a beach comber and so for me, they are kind of pointless. You just scoop the hit and rinse it out in the basket and it finds itself. If you're dealing with soil, they can be helpful to pinpoint where in the shovel of dirt the object is. If it were my turn to offer advice, I'd say start without one and then see if you feel like you need it.

As to getting into it, I'm definitely a weekend warrior and am not very serious about it. I have a Garrett ACE 300 and if there's something it won't do, I don't know about it. It more than suits my needs.

Screenshot_20210310-111105.png
I lived close to where the 1715 Spanish Plate fleet sank. If you guys go down that way look for an almost hidden public beach park in Brevard county...Bonsteel Park. It's not far from the Fisher Museum and there's definitely things to be found. Be aware of the laws, the water is off limits. Only beach I've seen where you take two steps into the water and the next step you're up to your neck deep. You'll get good strong hits in the surf line but find it impossible to dig and illegal too. It's there. I've seen the recovery barge in operation just barely offshore. Go north from the walkway.

Back
Top Bottom