• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Mechanic certified for rebuild title work?

FamDoc2892

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
235   0
Reaction score
Had a fender bender (literally!) in my 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS and insurance company for the opposing driver wants to total my truck over damage to driver’s front corner! Still drivable, no damage to radiator or other internals, able to pull bumper away from driver’s front tire with less than 30 minutes work. Put a new engine in it 2 years ago and tranny rebuilt within last 6-7 years, so going to plead my case with insurance company on Monday to see if there’s any way to change their minds.

If it doesn’t work, I️ understand I️ need repairs performed and inspected by state-certified rebuilder in order to get “Rebuilt” title, then haggle with my insurance company to get it insured and back on the road.

Any experience/suggestions with this process?

Attachments

• IMG_4684.jpeg
    IMG_4684.jpeg
    317 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4682.jpeg
    IMG_4682.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 14
Prices on Trucks are out of sight. Their insurance company will not pay to have it fixed. They will offer you 'their' market price for that used truck and then they'll have it fixed and resold for more money. They did that to me on my 2012 Ford Explorer - easily fixable. The resale value of it repaired was much higher than it cost them to total. To top it off, it was my own insurance company.

I guess my question is that if you refuse their totaling and take the car back, why can't you just have it repaired without going through the "retitled mess?" I'm sure there's a reason because the insurance companies always win.

If it’s just replacing parts and not major issues unless things have changed you don’t have to have a rebuilders license to do work. You need to have paperwork for parts used , good pictures before you do work. An individual used to be able to have their own work inspected just like a company. I have done this twice in the past. Make sure everything is working, lights inside and outside etc. good luck

OK, playing devil’s advocate to understand. Why do I️ have to have inspection? If a deer dented my fender and I️ replaced it, there would be no issue (and no inspection required). Is this different because of the insurance company’s declaration? I️ haven’t turned in any paperwork to the state, so where does this requirement stem from?

OK, playing devil’s advocate to understand. Why do I️ have to have inspection? If a deer dented my fender and I️ replaced it, there would be no issue (and no inspection required). Is this different because of the insurance company’s declaration? I️ haven’t turned in any paperwork to the state, so where does this requirement stem from?
If the state hasn’t been involved and the title is clear you don’t have to worry. You can fix or have fixed. When insurance pays off and says it’s totaled they contact state and the title is salvaged. See if you can settle and keep vehicle with out them totaling it.

My car is a rebuild salvage from another state. You can repair it yourself, documentation is key, you can use salvage yard parts with the donor vehicle Vin information. Pre repair pics and assessment from the insurance repaire shop. Make all repairs and take it to an inspection center before refinishing the paint, in your case they have to see the repairs and check against the pre pictures.

If the state hasn’t been involved and the title is clear you don’t have to worry. You can fix or have fixed. When insurance pays off and says it’s totaled they contact state and the title is salvaged. See if you can settle and keep vehicle with out them totaling it.
Can be totaled and kept if you do the buy back (or give you a check for repairs based on the estimate from shop) If not run in the state, don't worry about it.

Will follow up a little later for specifics, but sounds like nothing is final with the state until I️ settle with the insurance company on a total loss. If that’s correct, my first attempt will be to talk insurance company into a settlement that doesn’t involve total loss.

My van got hit in the rear a few years ago, I ended up settling for slightly less than it being totaled. Then van had no apparent damage but the frame was bent slightly behind the rear wheels. If I had excepted more the insurance would have taken it as totaled. By less it was kept and driven, gave it to my son who used it for several years as it was.

Back
Top Bottom