• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Mechanic GM Trucks

This is a correct assumption or affirmation. It shows exactly the route the belt is suppose to take. Use a breaker bar and a socket probably a 15mm ( I believe) to take tension off the belt tensioner. After you route the new belt and then put belt over tensioner and release tension. It's easy and about a ten minute fix.
I appreciate it!

Hey all, I just got a newer Silverado, so of course I'm not able to work on it at all. About 600 mi later out of the dealership and the serpentine belt is chirping. Might need to replace a pulley and definitely the belt. Anyone know a good mechanic who will charge a fair rate for a relatively simple fix (hopefully)?

Thanks

You will need a 12720530 idler pulley and a 12669858 belt. You can install the belt without a tool, just need a pile of zip ties and some manly forearms. Common thing we see.

And as someone else suggested, make sure you get the trans serviced regularly if you have the 8 speed. They need a fluid exchange every 45k if you expect to get any kind of life out of them.

It is recommended to replace the idler pulley at the same time on the newer models. GM went to a stretch style belt with requires a special tool but I've had luck getting them on with a handful of zip ties around the crankshaft pulley. It blows my mind that manufactures are trying to save a few dollars by making a routine job incredibly frustrating
Engineers have been doing this for years

Really! That's wild. No wonder it squeals. It will over stretch after a short time. Why can't they leave a good thing alone. Holey Moses! Just like a hard belt will stretch. Something else to make you spend money.
If you hadn't noticed everything is a money pit anymore. Why I just stick with the old stuff

Grandson has a 1500 Silverado and belt was making noise and he did not do anything. Got a call the motor is pouring oil out the front of engine. The belt frayed and became tangeled in behind crank pulley and that seal tore up and the oil pump is right behind this. Had to take everything off front of engine clean out the belt pieces . Would have been cheaper to replace the belt!

You will need a 12720530 idler pulley and a 12669858 belt. You can install the belt without a tool, just need a pile of zip ties and some manly forearms. Common thing we see.

And as someone else suggested, make sure you get the trans serviced regularly if you have the 8 speed. They need a fluid exchange every 45k if you expect to get any kind of life out of them.
Thanks brother, I was actually able to get the dealer who I bought the truck from to pay another dealer to put the belt and pulley on today. When you say getting the trans serviced, do you mean a full flush? Or just fluid change? I do have the 8 speed trans and a full flush every 45k is $$$

Grandson has a 1500 Silverado and belt was making noise and he did not do anything. Got a call the motor is pouring oil out the front of engine. The belt frayed and became tangeled in behind crank pulley and that seal tore up and the oil pump is right behind this. Had to take everything off front of engine clean out the belt pieces . Would have been cheaper to replace the belt!
Wow! I was able to get this taken care of today so all is good. That sounds like a major headache for your grandson.

Thanks brother, I was actually able to get the dealer who I bought the truck from to pay another dealer to put the belt and pulley on today. When you say getting the trans serviced, do you mean a full flush? Or just fluid change? I do have the 8 speed trans and a full flush every 45k is $$$
A full flush will flush the torque converter which shutter is the first sign of transmission issue/failure. It’s cheaper than replacing transmission between 70-120k which is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom