• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Local Mechanic GM Trucks

Hey all, I just got a newer Silverado, so of course I'm not able to work on it at all. About 600 mi later out of the dealership and the serpentine belt is chirping. Might need to replace a pulley and definitely the belt. Anyone know a good mechanic who will charge a fair rate for a relatively simple fix (hopefully)?

Thanks
Check McCullough Auto in Sandy Springs. Best mechanics I’ve dealt with in Atlanta area.

I've changed some before on older model trucks, but I'm reading that the 2020 requires a special GM tool. Wouldn't mind paying a fair price for labor. Def don't want to take it to a Chevy dealership
See how much the tool is. My GM is an 02' didn't need any special tools. Thing is, what happens if for some reason it needed to be changed off hours? I'm old enough that I don't want to buy any more tools because it's most likely I won't get my monies worth out of it. But depending on price of tool and or labor. That might be enough to motivate me. Napa may have that tool, might save you some money

See how much the tool is. My GM is an 02' didn't need any special tools. Thing is, what happens if for some reason it needed to be changed off hours? I'm old enough that I don't want to buy any more tools because it's most likely I won't get my monies worth out of it. But depending on price of tool and or labor. That might be enough to motivate me. Napa may have that tool, might save you some money
Could end up the cheaper route for sure. I think 2019s and up do require 2 specific GM tools but there are probably ways around it.

Yea, then I'd replace it. I bet you could do it yourself. It ain't rocket science. There should be a diagram on top of the radiator housing or under side of hood for belt route. You may need a pulley tensioner. Those do go bad pretty often
This is a correct assumption or affirmation. It shows exactly the route the belt is suppose to take. Use a breaker bar and a socket probably a 15mm ( I believe) to take tension off the belt tensioner. After you route the new belt and then put belt over tensioner and release tension. It's easy and about a ten minute fix.

It is recommended to replace the idler pulley at the same time on the newer models. GM went to a stretch style belt with requires a special tool but I've had luck getting them on with a handful of zip ties around the crankshaft pulley. It blows my mind that manufactures are trying to save a few dollars by making a routine job incredibly frustrating

Hey all, I just got a newer Silverado, so of course I'm not able to work on it at all. About 600 mi later out of the dealership and the serpentine belt is chirping. Might need to replace a pulley and definitely the belt. Anyone know a good mechanic who will charge a fair rate for a relatively simple fix (hopefully)?

Thanks
What year is is? 5.3L?
I'm in Cartersville and would do it.

This is a correct assumption or affirmation. It shows exactly the route the belt is suppose to take. Use a breaker bar and a socket probably a 15mm ( I believe) to take tension off the belt tensioner. After you route the new belt and then put belt over tensioner and release tension. It's easy and about a ten minute fix.
No tensioner on the 2020, it uses a stretch belt.

No tensioner on the 2020, it uses a stretch belt.
Really! That's wild. No wonder it squeals. It will over stretch after a short time. Why can't they leave a good thing alone. Holey Moses! Just like a hard belt will stretch. Something else to make you spend money.

Really! That's wild. No wonder it squeals. It will over stretch after a short time. Why can't they leave a good thing alone. Holey Moses! Just like a hard belt will stretch. Something else to make you spend money.
They've had a "chirp" since they started using serpentine belts and these have just enough elasticity for the pulley grooves to start cutting into em after 50k miles or so.

Back
Top Bottom