• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

may take a break from the gun trading seems it isnt what it was.

Id go as high as 350-375 for a really really nice one in todays market if i wanted it but that is beyond fair imo .but heck 3 or 4 years ago they where 275 for the same gun lol. We had this discussion on the Marlin forum the other day and there are still alot of JM thumpers out there. That said it seems most people are coming to the realization that marlin was never a 1000 dollar sako rifle and that some JMs werent perfect either. Rem was just under the spotlight and was hated at the switch anyway over the other issue with 700 triggers lol any press was gonna blow up if they made a mistake and they did. However I am seeing most of their guns now being of decent quality as where JMs.

Id go as high as 350-375 for a really really nice one in todays market if i wanted it but that is beyond fair imo .but heck 3 or 4 years ago they where 275 for the same gun lol. We had this discussion on the Marlin forum the other day and there are still alot of JM thumpers out there. That said it seems most people are coming to the realization that marlin was never a 1000 dollar sako rifle and that some JMs werent perfect either. Rem was just under the spotlight and was hated at the switch anyway over the other issue with 700 triggers lol any press was gonna blow up if they made a mistake and they did. However I am seeing most of their guns now being of decent quality as where JMs.

Aren't the new Marlins over $400? I have paid $400 for a 30/30 one time and it was one I have kept. It was worth it to me because it was the one I had always wanted. The average JM 336 I would pay $300-$325, tops. I love Marlin levers.

yah i believe the new ones are about 429 or so. I just bought a rep stamped cowboy blued 45-70 but it was a limited edition with 18.5 in octogon barrel and 6 in the tube. In short its a cross between a guide gun and a cowboy. I had to pay a pretty penny for it 712 dollars lol but new they going for 790 at cabelas if you can find them so its all in what you value. Ive had sev jm stainless 45-70s i paid less for lol.

Heck seems as of late the site isn't what is was 3 years ago when i did my first deal here. Used to be had a few flippers and everyone else liked to trade and if they got something for 300 bucks they may ask 320 to cover gas. Lately I see more and more guys gobble up a good deal and literally list it for alot more. Of course we don't have to buy and they can ask what they want, but doesn't that take alot of the fun out of it? I started using this site to try different things and shoot alot of guns i can't buy all at once. Hard to do it this day and age. still a great site don't get me wrong just the classifieds ain't as fun as it was. I got my first lemon thru a trade the other day as well and hey it does happen but think I may lay low for awhile and just enjoy the show and the forums lol. Who all has had some similar experiences lately? ok Im done whining lol which is exactly what i was doing Ill admit.

NO ****!

Here's my take away from THE ODT....

Look at my trade feedback and see I'm not a huge trader (geography has a lot to do with that though). When you see complete strangers offering up donations for a sick child they don't even know, it makes you appreciate the real folks here. When a member throws up prized guns to save his beloved furry family member, and more strangers come to the rescue with donation sites, it humbles you. When you can PM some of our resident experts on matters of all sorts, and get speedy and friendly replies accompanied with a wealth of knowledge, it kinda over-shadows the trading thing.

This +++
When I started with ODT a couple years ago, I had maybe 2 guns.... Now my wife tells me I am preparing for a war... I enjoy the folks on this site... and the guns too...
But I have a just about everything I can ever use or shoot and enough ammo for an invasion... So my trading has decreased.... Always looking for excellent deals.

But it is the "community" on this site that keeps me here... Great people that will do anything to help a neighbor or a stranger in need. I remain overwhelmed by the generosity of the members here.

Love you guys!

I have received two infractions along the way for saying someones item is overpriced. I mean if i see a marlin 3030 for 600 bucks with a simmons scope i may call you stupid... should i get an infraction for this i don't think so

Read the rules that apply to all members who signed up. One of the rules is "No negative posts in ads". If you don't want to follow the rules of the site, fine, do what you want. But, you will continue to get infractions whether you believe you should or not if you don't follow the rules.

All these posts boil down to nothing more than price bashing. Well, except for the criminal activity accusations. Report those who you believe involved in criminal activity, not to ODT, but to the ATF. One thing to talk about it, quite another to actually "do" anything about it. But, as in most cases, some would rather just complain. Complaining is easier than actually doing.

Last edited:
^^^This is exactly what a forum is for correct???? I mean basically this is our round table to sit around and gang bang a pot of coffee and chew the fat. I understand the rules and got two infractions in 3 years not like I was going around bashing prices , I believe one post I said something along the lines of I had had one of the items and must have sold it too cheap. I guess alluding to the fact it was overpriced but not saying that lol. The infractions I could care less about I was just saying I got them, The post started over diluted trading and post in the classifieds is all. Its pure choice if i want to deal i understand that and sometimes will and wont. This post will make no difference just a conversation that I think you are taking more serious than it was intended.

Back
Top Bottom