• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Marauder Restyle Part Duex

Can I use Tung oil with the paste wax the way you are doing it? I've never used Tru oil, normally just the tung oil. Its a slow process because it takes a while for it to dry sometimes, but I've never used the wax with it.

Tung oil will work well too, lay your coats down heavy at first to make sure it has time when wet to sink in, Ive been dipping pistol grips for the first coat. steel wool and thin coats a few times. Then wax

Sharps, I really ahve enjoyed your posts, this has been a really cool project.

Thanks. Slow down time....heading to deer camp tomorrow....gotta take the jeep though....had a catastrophic engine failure in John Lee (65 C10) but he's in the shop getting a spanky new ATK 250 inline six and a T5 overdrive 5speed trans. Lovin that I'll have highway gears in a couple weeks.!!

003.jpg

Nice truck!
Yeah man highways gears are nice to have.
I'm running 4:11's in my Plymouth and a four speed so another gear would make it nice not to be revving at 3000 rpm at 65 MPH when a rustang paces me wanting to see what I got and then pulls away with another gear or two at their disposal.

I'm saving for a five speed as we speak.

I had that ol peanut trans bangin 4800+ rpm at 90 mph when tuneing in the hei and weber! Screaming loud!....ran really strong on the HEI and Weber 2 barrel for over 8K miles. But, age and wear took its toll and piston hit a valve and Ol John Lee's Olds Rocket Six came unglued after a 40+ year run! So, new ATK motor and a good Astro Van T5 and I'll be tachin 2200ish rpm at 70 mph and able to hold a conversation at the same time. Them ol farm trucks are geared for haulin the hay wagon, not for haulin ass!

Back home and time to finish shaping the lever and then decide if I'm gonna blue the entire gun or just the tang, trigger plate and lever or not at all. I kinda want to see how it looks as is. The wood is plain old straight grain and nothing fancy.

But, getting ready to set out the parts for cleaning and final fitting and then I'll decide after seeing how it looks together.

[Broken External Image]:

i.imgur.com_mLHcyfm.jpg

i.imgur.com_4TuIWtv.jpg

Been hunting an working and travelin....but back now and just huntin and workin this in the spare time. I want to finish it up and move on to the next project. Besides, someones waitin for this one they just don't know it yet.

Yep. Action cleaned up real nice. There is nice original 1967 blue under there and only a kiss of speckling on the action panel. Some bare spots on the barrel but no rust thru. I think I'm going to focus on finishing this one up and rust blue the lever and tangs and some of the small parts and get it ready to go in the woods as a worker. Its been working all its life, judging by the broken stock and marks on the action and it still looks great.

Getting excited now, rollin in on the finished carbine.

A view of the sighting from the shoulder end....That Winchester 1886 buckhorn and the Williams Fire Site front look great between eye and deer.

i.imgur.com_4iWcgjN.jpg

i.imgur.com_5ftU1eO.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And back here at the rear tang, blending in the blue again with pilkingtons where it was worn from use and buffed off in the stock fitting. High point remains bright steel like the wear, edges are bluing up again to blend back into the wood. Looks like the original carry wear.

i.imgur.com_UWHlyKy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom