• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Magazine Drilling

You know I thought about how pretentious and egotistical suggesting that you should all just use your milling machines may have sounded.
I apologize
If you send me the mags. I will cut them, not with the mill, but with laser beams and ****. Cause I gots one of those too. I'll take pics

Hot tubs.

Hot tubs for Everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trying to powder coat over edges can cause poor edge coverage and/or out gassing. A lot of the fab/paint shops must blast the edges so the paint does flake off. Good info if your end user plans on coating it, someone needs to remove the oxide.

https://www.pfonline.com/articles/taking-the-oxide-edge-off

Tell them to stop using oxygen as their assist gas. That causes a black oxide layer on the cut edges, which is what actually flakes off. Use nitrogen as the assist gas and this won't be a problem. They will have to up the cutting pressure a considerable amount, however, as oxygen assists the cut, but nitrogen cools it. Some lower power lasers may have a problem; our 6,000 watt fiber laser doesn't have any problem until we're up over 3/4".

I put a gracious amount of gun oil on it and it didnt work. Wiped it dry and tried again to see if any metal flakes were being made and saw none. Ive come to the conclusion that it will take more pressure than I am applying and a better setup than I am using

It's not the lubricant, it's the heat. You don't want lubricant, you're trying to CUT it. What you want is heat transfer, and oil doesn't transfer heat the way water does - not even close. Use a fresh, sharp drill, and keep the water flowing to cool it. You shouldn't see flakes, you should see strings of chips. If it's a large hole, turn the drill speed DOWN.

As others have said, you can "center drill" it with a smaller drill first, operating at a higher speed than the larger drill.

So, just use your mills and your lasers.
Mill took a couple minutes because I had to put a collett in and set up the magazine.
Laser took about 30-40 seconds

Freakin laser beams man
magl.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the milling but you can see the difference. Both are pretty perfect and both took about a minute per side.
magl2.jpg

Merry Christmas MaconGuns MaconGuns

got a knife blade I am trying to drill 2 holes in.$30 bit from an auto supply store wont even scratch it,broke 2 other bits I had here, and a $6 one from HD just burred it down flat

So, just use your mills and your lasers.
Mill took a couple minutes because I had to put a collett in and set up the magazine.
Laser took about 30-40 seconds

Freakin laser beams man
View attachment 2984478
I didn't take a pic of the milling but you can see the difference. Both are pretty perfect and both took about a minute per side.
View attachment 2984479

Merry Christmas MaconGuns MaconGuns
Nice, which method did you use on the other mag?

Back
Top Bottom