• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Magazine Drilling

MaconGuns

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
63   0
Reaction score
I've got a few mags I need to drill two 3/8 holes in. I tried a cobalt bit from Home Depot and a stepper bit from Harbor Freight as well as a Titanium bit I had. After at least 10 minutes under each bit it looks like the only thing I managed to do was remove the coating. Any guidance?

20201206_183547.jpg

I've got a few mags I need to drill two 3/8 holes in. I tried a cobalt bit from Home Depot and a stepper bit from Harbor Freight as well as a Titanium bit I had. After at least 10 minutes under each bit it looks like the only thing I managed to do was remove the coating. Any guidance?

View attachment 2957130

You need to support the inside with a sacrificial piece. Wood, plastic or anything that you don't care about that can support the side you're drilling from the inside.

You may need to support the magazine around the area you are trying to drill the hole through. What are the holes for?

Also just a heads up. I can tell by the pic you have posted that the bits you attempted to drill with are completely shot, throw them in the trash and start fresh

2 bits were NIB if you see rough edges I took a round dremel bit to try and rough up the metal in hopes of giving the bits more bite. I see almost 0 metal flakes.
I took one cobalt bit back and picked up these (pic incoming) that seem to work just as poorly. I am not putting heavy pressure against the mag in fear of bending it so I will try something inside to support it.

You may need to support the magazine around the area you are trying to drill the hole through. What are the holes for?

Removing the dimples that limit the mags capacity. I was just going to use them to train with but saw a DIY fix that looks like it works. Want to try it on one mag before I fully commit

When the drill breaks through it will probably catch and bend the magazine. I would use a stone on the end of a dremel.

Back
Top Bottom