• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for another dog training apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is basically "paid training" .....it looks like. The lot of folks think you are stuck at this wage forever if you take this on.
I am betting you could accelerate faster in this type of career than you could most anywhere....according to the owner anyway.
This is exactly right! It's on the job training for a position that pays a lot more than the majority of college degrees in a shorter amount of time than it take to get those degrees. So...

You know what, with the psychology being exhibited in this thread, I think I might be better off treating this like a school where everyone pays me a crap ton of money to learn the skills and then I'll just select the best of the students to offer the position to.

Seriously, there are tens of thousands of young people out there that have put themselves into crushing debt to get a degree in fields that pay a fraction of what I'm offering. Yet, apparently, paying someone to learn these skills and guaranteeing them a position at the end of the apprenticeship is somehow a "gamble" for them and a scam from me. Unbelievable.
Very rarely do you come across an OPPORTUNITY like this.... You have been begging for the right person to run with this for over a year. And folks wonder what is going on in the economy? Why there are no jobs?
Imagine a corporation wanting 100 folks to do this...frustrated as hell they move to a land where people line up for something like this. Beg for it. SMDH

You know what, with the psychology being exhibited in this thread, I think I might be better off treating this like a school where everyone pays me a crap ton of money to learn the skills and then I'll just select the best of the students to offer the position to.

Seriously, there are tens of thousands of young people out there that have put themselves into crushing debt to get a degree in fields that pay a fraction of what I'm offering. Yet, apparently, paying someone to learn these skills and guaranteeing them a position at the end of the apprenticeship is somehow a "gamble" for them and a scam from me. Unbelievable.
Bear,
Even with the 'gamble' comment aside, I don't think anyone is suggesting it's a "scam". You yourself have said you are "dying" trying to find someone to take it. That should be all the reality check needed. There is no mystery to why you aren't finding the help you need. I 100% get what you are trying to find and take you at your word at the potential. That doesn't change the fact you are still competing against other $10/hour jobs TODAY.
I've reached out to a friend who has a daughter (she's degreed with substantial vet tech training) that may be interested (but she is currently making more than that). If I thought it was a scam I'd never do that, FWIW.

Gamble?

Well, I guess I am gambling all of the time, effort and money we will spend on this apprentice.
Every employer does that. Stop acting like you're doing the applicant a favor by hiring them.

If you mean that taking a job that is offering a high paying future with a guaranteed position at the end of the apprenticeship is a gamble rather than an opportunity... I really don't know how to respond to that other than, D,JD.
Step back for a minute and read this from any other company. Avon, Amway, Mary Kay, Herbalife, Pampered Chef, etc. The list goes on. They all promise what you're offering....how many of them deliver? So understand the scepticism...and then add on to that the heavy handed judgement coming from you about how hard it is to find the right person and how no one wants to work for a living anymore.

As has been previously pointed out to you, you're competing with other $10/hour jobs with perceptively better working conditions...and the $10/hour job market has heard the "give it five years and you'll be making six figures" speech far too many times for it to mean anything anymore.

Best of luck to you and I do hope you find a person...I just think that the person you're looking for might be putting off by your pitch...but...I could be wrong, too. It's happened before.

The attitude exhibited in this post, I would argue, is the primary reason you're having difficulty finding the position. Rather than examine honest criticism, you turn into blue collared grumpy old man and get defensive.

No one said it was a scam...not even me. I simply said that your pitch is no different than many others out there and you're competing in a saturated market, offering a more strenuous product than the rest.

The reason I'm getting pissy is because this is posted in the "Help Wanted" section, not "General Discussion" and about half the posts are from people that are discouraging anyone from looking into this opportunity.

Also, I have not been trying to fill this position for over a year. I have hired people as techs only (which is what some of the previous threads were looking for) and a couple as apprentices. One was not cut out for the job and the one that I am filling the position for now is a very good man that has simply decided he doesn't want to train as a profession after all.

But if you guys don't want a $100,000 a year profession available to a member of the ODT family, OK. I won't waste my time looking here anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom