• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

line type for trout fishing........

Don't overlook the additional sensitivity that braid gives you. Depending on how you're fishing, that can make a big difference.

Though I like and use the Uniknot a lot, I no longer use it to tie on a longer leader. If it hits the eyelets when you're casting, it slowly damages the floro and it can break with very little pressure. I now use the FG (fine grip) knot. It looks complicated to tie, but it's really not once you get the hang of it. YouTube is your friend.

BTW, Power Pro is my preferred braid. 5lb. It casts like a rocket.
Just an update on this post. I'm looking for another knot to tie on the leader. Turns out the FG knot will also fail. I guess I just cast harder than most people, but I've had several FG knots fail now and don't trust it at all.

hiked down(Chestnut Lead) to the Conasauga River saturday. Wife finally caught a nice little rainbow. She was happy!

Attachments

• cona.jpeg
    cona.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 11
Just an update on this post. I'm looking for another knot to tie on the leader. Turns out the FG knot will also fail. I guess I just cast harder than most people, but I've had several FG knots fail now and don't trust it at all.
I've winched many a green striper up using FG knots. I've also pulled some bull reds out of the surf with it. I've leaned on large-ish sharks hard enough to cut off the fluoro leader and the FG held. You do have to tie it correctly. I don't like tying them in a rocking boat. It can take a few tries to get it right sometimes.

Albright is another good one, and a little more straight forward to tie, but it doesn't flow through guides as well. The tag will work it loose. You have to keep an eye on that one.

My trout fishing has always been with some sort of 6# or less mono. Been trying to use up large spools for Cajun Red 6# and Bass Pro camo 4# for years and years. I will put on a 4# Vanish leader if they get picky.

Thing is, trout are good at throwing a hook. More stretch than braid or fluoro is helpful in landing them.

I've winched many a green striper up using FG knots. I've also pulled some bull reds out of the surf with it. I've leaned on large-ish sharks hard enough to cut off the fluoro leader and the FG held. You do have to tie it correctly. I don't like tying them in a rocking boat. It can take a few tries to get it right sometimes.

Albright is another good one, and a little more straight forward to tie, but it doesn't flow through guides as well. The tag will work it loose. You have to keep an eye on that one.
The FG knot is secure and can handle a lot of pressure, right up until it fails due to rod guide impacts as you cast. It's great if you're not casting it. Trolling and downline fishing it works fine. I suppose if you don't do much distance casting and retie it regularly it would work, too. However, I often find myself casting a lot and for long distances. Especially when I'm casting in salt water. I actually wear a single finger glove to keep from tearing up my index finger when I'm doing that.

This is the same reason I won't cast a double Uni through the guides.

I'm also less than impressed with the SC knot. It turns out that on lighter lines (30lb or less) it will slip. It might take a lot of pressure and some time, but it does slip. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people that find that out the hard way when fighting a big fish.

Just my two cents but I never use a leader when freshwater fishing unless of course I’m fly fishing. Salt, yes, but from braid to barrel to leader. On the rare occasion I trout fish with conventional equipment, I use 4 lb mono.

Back
Top Bottom